Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not much of a connoisseur, but I know there are several here on the forum. I am looking into this horn, with a possibility of buying it, but I need some assurance. The pictures are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157627802459184/

The seller tells me that it hasn't been wasnt relacquered , that this is the original lacquer, a rare special nickel plated which was made for custom orders in the beginning of 1960s.

Please let me know what you think, I appreciate it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Well the pics are pretty bad blurry so its hard to see a lot of detail . How much does he want does it need pads , etc . Is it in playing condition I would want to try it before i would sink any money into it
Cheers

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,230 Posts
There are MANY "tell tale" signs, but my money says it's a re-lacquer based upon the faded engraving from the buffing process. You can tell most blatantly on the picture showing the logo on the bell. The "S" on "Selmer" and the "L" on London are both pretty buffed out.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Charlie

·
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Asking price is 4800 euros (including a Florida Link mpc). The seller says it's been overhauled recently and that it is in good playing condition. Problem is this would be an international transaction, I don't have a chance to try the horn personally.

·
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Charlie, for any news, good or bad.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,230 Posts
Thats like $6400 USD. That's too much to chance on this horn. There are better deals to be found.

·
Forum Contributor 2014, Distinguished SOTW Member
2,087 Posts
We're not really talking about lacquer here are we? It seems the question would be is it original plating.

·
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're not really talking about lacquer here are we? It seems the question would be is it original plating.
And your answer would be ...

·
Registered
667 Posts
It's all about the tone with me. I wouldn't buy a VI just because it's a VI unless I could play it first. Assuming it really is the original finish it might be worth the money to me if it's a really awesome player. However all Mark VI's are not created equal and I'd hate to lay out that kind of cash only to get the horn and find out I don't like the way it plays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts