Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
" You Got to Be Original, Man! "

We have all remarked when an innocent child speaks their mind and reveals something candid, with no worries about consequences, failure, or judgment that makes us think. We also know there is something envious about that special quality; raw freedom to express with no fears or hang-ups. When a young student drums on a desk, draws on a paper, or sings, sincerity is at its best. And it’s all valid because it’s sincere.

Our attraction to music is a personal one. Sure, there are peer pressures, and multi musical purposes, but somewhere in our hearts we have our own musical tastes. To step forward and play what you feel might be your best move.I feel it’s tragic to not explore music and life through creativity and self development. I respect the ideal of traditional development of needed musical skills but not at the cost of creativity. No one should have to wait some undetermined amount of time to compose something or even think about composing something.Ditto with improvisation. Same with any writing or art. It’s sincere. It’s in the moment.

The path of a true "artist" is a rocky road. It's like walking up wet glass at times but after a while it's fun.It is your business to keep the channel open.You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you.You'll note a slow emergence almost imperceptible. it will be something you never forget.

Now's the time tell a genuine story, speak the truth, and someone will appreciate it.It is part and parcel of being an artist.

Keep the channel open, and try your best.You'll learn something special.

The quote at the beginning of this weeks blog was from Lester Young. If you want to hear something original-check out Lester Young.

I'll be talking more about ~stepping forward~ and taking your chances. Now's the time.

Thanks, and keep on your path.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way......Lester Young......is a must for ALL ears. :)

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Kind of like saying everyone must like shrimp.

It's an interesting question. What is creativity?

One thing I have noticed recently when I attended Guitar Circle directed by Robert Fripp is that there is a fundamental and overwhelming desire to do what other people are doing. This applies not only to musical styles but the way we think and live our lives in general. This could be attributed to tribalism, in the instinct that we as a team, are stronger against nature and against other teams than we are as individuals.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,493 Posts
Speak the truth and only the truth and it shall set you free! Right on Tim.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speak the truth and only the truth and it shall set you free! Right on Tim.
Speaking of truth yes, Prez was a voice to so many....in tons of different ways.

Everyone got something different.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Two groups of people can be 100% sure they know the truth when they are diametrically opposed on everything they believe in. Knowing the truth is something that everyone isn't capable of doing. There are just too many stupid people out there. Perhaps it would be more charitable to call them brainwashed, indoctrinated sheep.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,493 Posts
Speaking of truth yes, Prez was a voice to so many....in tons of different ways.

Everyone got something different.
Prez spoke the truth through that horn. When I listen to him play it just sounds like a hushed conversation directed at me.

B

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Prez spoke the truth through that horn. When I listen to him play it just sounds like a hushed conversation directed at me.

B
The beauty of an art form my friend.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I wonder if a beginner (like the most here on this forum) should be original and inventive and creative. It is easy for them to think while playing they are as creative as Eric Dolphy.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,493 Posts
The beauty of an art form my friend.
You are right Tim. The beauty of playing music and in course, improvisation; is that most musicians find it easier to make conversation through our instrument rather than with spoken words, otherwise we would be poets.

Another sax player in a soul band I was gigging in a few years back said to me "you don't say much when you don't have your horn in your mouth." I replied "yep".

B

·
Registered
496 Posts
I wonder if a beginner (like the most here on this forum) should be original and inventive and creative. It is easy for them to think while playing they are as creative as Eric Dolphy.
It's never too early to be creative. Even if one has limited technical skills it is still possible to improvise. Better to introduce this mindset early so that it does not become a stumbling block later in life. As one acquires greater technical skills over time the creative process is enriched and becomes deeper.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
Unless someone just plays their improvisations to their cat, then other people will eventually judge a persons improvisations, like an audience for example.

Improvising by itself means nothing.

I can improvise right now and play a totally unrelated series of notes with weird timing but that doesn't mean anyone will like it, except for maybe the cat.

How can someone be original?

If someone just copies all the time then that is not going to produce much originality.

Someone has to eventually find their own way through the musical maze to come off sounding somewhat original but even if they do it still doesn't mean that other people will like it.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Well, being able to be completely honest is the reason I play what I play, create what I create, photograph what I photograph. And the beauty of it is, that this "honesty" in one's art, is what communication is all about, and distinguishes the mere blueprint player from the true improvisor. It's a sheer joy, that freedom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts