Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got a HR tenor Otto Link from Ed Zentera, plays fantastic, but alas my Vandoren Optimum only fits it without a pressure plate, and contact with the reed isn't totally even (not surprising, I've dropped it more than once and it isn't designed to fit like that anyway).

I ordered a FL Ultimate XL, however Sax Alley is out of stock. Tim offered to ship me a pure brass in its place if I didn't want to wait. Now I've spent too much time reading about ligs and not enough time practicing, so if anyone would be so bold as to share their opinion, the first post will decide what I tell him. I'm also considering switching to a FL Basic, although I'm a bit partial to the pressure plate design for some unknown, probably irrelevant, psychological reason.

Thanks all,
Evan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Didn't we already to this?

Selmer 404.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
I sort of like the ultimate more than the pure brass. The intent was to make it less fussy but i think the ultimate is easier to use and get set up squarely on the piece -- plate parallel with the table. I don't think there is much sonic difference.

my .02

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
there's always the old standby Selmer brass 2 screw lig. another lig that works well on a HR tenor Link is the Bay lig. 10MFan had some of these for around $50.00 and I like it better than either of the FL ligs, fits better and doesn't slide around when you're tuning the mpc on the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
I believe the 404s are intended for metal mouthpieces, I have a hard rubber link.
My bad. Apologies.

For HR, I prefer FL Ultimate ligs - been using them since they came out. Great response from my reeds, no fuss, no failures.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,707 Posts
I have the Ultimate Lig I use on my own pieces as well as the HR Links I work on.

I own a Pure brass that fits alto pieces. I like them both.

Pick one and you cant loose. Great response, good solid tone.

Do not over tighten them. Any good lig gets in risk of damage from this and its not good for mouthpieces either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts