Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the YBS-82 is finally being released and shipped out after a long delay (thanks COVID.)

Am I the only person insane enough to even attempt to buy one of these? I sold my YBS-52 about a year and a half ago to get some money and I plan on finishing my performance degree either this year or the next; but it's either a new bari or a desperately needed new(ish) car after my transmission started slipping today.

Even if you aren't buying, what are your thoughts?

Yamaha YBS-82 Bari Demo

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2015
994 Posts
The gentleman in the video is not adequately informed, but I’m sure he did his best.

I’m super excited about this new Yamaha offering. Yamaha is gradually cementing their brand as the maker of the finest saxophones. I just wish I could justify a $10,000 baritone saxophone. I imagine colleges and universities will be buying these along with military bands. And seriously devoted baritone sax players. . .

Thanks for sharing this video.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Sound uneven across the registers to me and the high register sound as boxed.. maybe is the neck option, maybe the mouthpiece, maybe the player (imho)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I imagine colleges and universities will be buying these along with military bands. And seriously devoted baritone sax players. . .

Thanks for sharing this video.
I imagine this is going to be the new standard at wealthy colleges and military bands. As for seriously devoted baritone sax players, it's been my main axe since 2007 and I've been looking for an upgrade since 2011 (before I sold my 52). I'll likely buy one eventually, so I'll let you know how it plays when I do.

Reactions: Benjamin Allen

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn, Can’t have any idea what a horn sounds like when you add a bunch of reverb and overblow every single note.
Sadly, that was one of the better reviews that has been posted so far... Yamaha posted a video a few months ago, but other than that it's this and an amateur from Japan (and as valid I'm sure their opinion is, I couldn't understand it.)

Reactions: swperry1

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Damn, Can’t have any idea what a horn sounds like when you add a bunch of reverb and overblow every single note.
Yeah and Dave knows better. He's been a member here at SOTW for many years and he's a fine player that's done some really good video reviews but he's playing this horn the way someone who plays tenor 90+% of the time plays bari - rippin' around like a madman, up into the altissimo, and struggling to get the few low notes he plays to speak.

Dave - if you can't play the Low A without barking it out like that either the horn needs adjustment or your reed is too hard.

I'm sure it's a great horn but I haven't seen a review yet that's convinced me it's $2k-$3k more horn than the 62.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,164 Posts
Yeah and Dave knows better. He's been a member here at SOTW for many years and he's a fine player that's done some really good video reviews but he's playing this horn the way someone who plays tenor 90+% of the time plays bari - rippin' around like a madman, up into the altissimo, and struggling to get the few low notes he plays to speak.

Dave - if you can't play the Low A without barking it out like that either the horn needs adjustment or your reed is too hard.

I'm sure it's a great horn but I haven't seen a review yet that's convinced me it's $2k-$3k more horn than the 62.
I haven't played a 62 bari, but if they're anywhere near as consistently great as the tenors and altos I don't see how the 82 could be worth $3k more outside of hype and branding.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,164 Posts
Sadly, that was one of the better reviews that has been posted so far... Yamaha posted a video a few months ago, but other than that it's this and an amateur from Japan (and as valid I'm sure their opinion is, I couldn't understand it.)
Based on the nice review/ comparison of the new 62 and 475 models sax.co.uk did, I think theirs will be a much better look into the instrument than this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,047 Posts
Looks like the YBS-82 is finally being released and shipped out after a long delay (thanks COVID.)

Am I the only person insane enough to even attempt to buy one of these? I sold my YBS-52 about a year and a half ago to get some money and I plan on finishing my performance degree either this year or the next; but it's either a new bari or a desperately needed new(ish) car after my transmission started slipping today.

Even if you aren't buying, what are your thoughts?

Yamaha YBS-82 Bari Demo
Find someone selling a B-992 - and pay them before they realize their mistake.

Reactions: B Flat and KeithL

·
34,047 Posts
Please tell Dave about one-piece bells. "No seam"??? Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt.

Reactions: Benjamin Allen

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,054 Posts
The 62 bari might be my favorite horn ever. I've just never played an instrument that left me wanting nothing else quite like those horns. In college, my school owned three 62's and I would check them out more or less interchangeably for rehearsals, practice, concerts, off campus gigs (don't tell the equipment manager) and all of them were just killer. I spent hundreds of hours on those horns. And then lost access to them as soon as I graduated.

In high school I got to play a Yanagisawa occasionally at the Community Music Center, and the Yanagisawas are also a delight, but I like the sound of the Yamahas a little more. The Yani's are more refined, a bit sweeter and darker, in my experience, but I'm not a refined, sweet, dark kind of player, so I prefer the Yamahas.

I have an old 50's Keilwerth now that is a perfectly nice horn that I'll probably use for a long time, but I didn't realize how spoiled I was with those Yamahas until I had to play something else. Absolute mechanical marvels that can take a beating and just keep going. And the keywork!

I can't imagine how a horn could be better, but apparently Yamaha can. I'd love to try one and see what that's like for myself.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
That's what I have. I've played close to two dozen baris since I bought my B992 in '05 and none of them, including a Yani B9930, have played as well as my horn. The design of the Low A mechanism on the Yamaha is fantastic so I wish my Yani had that but otherwise I prefer both the sound and ergos of my horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,219 Posts
This is funny. Maybe he is catering the the Leo P folks, except of course Leo P - Yamaha endorser - isn't struggling with anything besides playing something that is laid back.

Fair point. I "only" owned a B991 and do regret selling it.

The Yani's are more refined, a bit sweeter and darker, in my experience, but I'm not a refined, sweet, dark kind of player, so I prefer the Yamahas.
I like that philosophy. I am not a great player and happy with my Thomann.

Look at that engraving! That's got to be worth at least $2-3k, right??
I believe what might be worth at least $2-3K is Yamaha looking to Selmer, not Yanagisawa, for pricing and why not? BTW, this might be a blessing in disguise for Yanagisawa, as their top end horn will be priced much more competitively than Yamaha's. I know that someone somewhere would say wait a minute, but I believe this is how things work.

Finally, kudos to Yamaha for launching a(nother) top tier baritone. Not an area where there is too much choice.

·
34,047 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I was going by the prices I've actually seen published - in this case Matthew's at around $7800 for the 62E and Thomann at about $10400 for the 82Z, a $2600 difference with no VAT in either case.

Matthew's has some very good (relatively speaking) prices on the newer WO model Yani baris including a BWO2UL which would be fun to try. I just keep reminding myself that every horn I buy pushes my retirement date (still 10+ years away) back another 6 months and that usually convinces me I have as many horns as I need.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm sure it's a lovely horn. But I have absolutely no desire to "upgrade" from my YBS-52. I tried lots of more expensive horns and felt that the 52 was the absolute best horn for me. The 52 is post to body vs ribbed on the 62 - but otherwise I couldn't find any difference between the two horns (unless you buy into the "acoustic annealing" hype - the 62 has that). I'll definitely want to give the 82 a play when brick and mortar music stores open up again someday - but there is nothing I could ask for that I don't get from the 52 (maybe an anti-gravity device as my aging body can't swing a bari around for hours like I used to)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts