Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the new Custom bari necks on their 62? I'm most interested in the V1, but it'd be great to hear about the others as well.

I've had good luck with the V1 on my EX alto, but was less impressed with it on my 62 tenor. I'd love a slightly "broader," somewhat more vintage bari tone, which is why I'm leaning toward the V1, but if the stock 62 neck is anything like the stock neck on my tenor I'll just be wasting money; there's something special about that neck on my tenor. However, the V1 really brought my alto to life over the stock G1 that shipped with it way back when.

·
Registered
YSS-675 | YAS-62ii | YTS-62ii | B901
39 Posts
I don’t have any experience with bari necks, sorry, but it’s interesting that you don’t like the V1 neck on the 62 tenor, as I’ve had the opposite experience. On my 62 alto I like the stock neck, but with the tenor I find the stock neck lacking a bit of sparkle, and the V1 brings that. Which generation of 62 tenor do you have? (Sorry to derail your thread slightly, I’ll refrain from talking about non-bari things now).

·
Registered
Selmer Paris - SBA alto (‘50); Reference 36; Mark VI tenor (‘74)
30 Posts
Yeah I am a bit off topic but I tried a V1 neck on my mk1 62 and it sounds great but is all over the tuning map. The stock neck sounds as good and is as locked in as possible. Curious as to how it would translate to the baritone.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which generation of 62 tenor do you have? (Sorry to derail your thread slightly, I’ll refrain from talking about non-bari things now).
Post-purple logo mk. 1 ca. 1999.

·
Registered
YSS-675 | YAS-62ii | YTS-62ii | B901
39 Posts
Post-purple logo mk. 1 ca. 1999.
That may very well be the difference. Mine is a mk2, made in 2005. I've never played a mk1, but I've read that the 62 tenor lost a bit of its sparkle when they replaced it with the mk2 (and again with the mk3). I'd love to try a mk1, or a mk1 neck on my mk2, but I don't suppose it will happen.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That may very well be the difference. Mine is a mk2, made in 2005. I've never played a mk1, but I've read that the 62 tenor lost a bit of its sparkle when they replaced it with the mk2 (and again with the mk3). I'd love to try a mk1, or a mk1 neck on my mk2, but I don't suppose it will happen.
Supposedly the C1 is based on the original 62 neck, so maybe that would work even better for you.

Reactions: Peter Wright
1 - 6 of 6 Posts