Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a couple "YBS-62"s on Ebay right now for a pretty good price that seem to have a floor peg, or at least a socket for a floor peg. I can't find any Yamaha literature, or online retailers, to suggest that Yamaha baris have ever come with a floor peg. So, are these counterfeits? Does Yamaha make a bari with a floor peg in international markets? Did I just miss that in my other investigations? They don't appear to come with white gloves, so they've got that going for them... :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
as usual the search engine is your friend

I've seen a pic of a 62II. The only thing that looks different is that it has a floor peg. I don't think that they're available outside of Japan.
I tried a ybs62 recently and was impressed. I googled ybs62 to look for a used one and a link to an ebay site listed a YBS-62II. The picture had a floor peg. The add said it ships from Japan. I haven't found any other reference
From memory, when I had my YBS62 the case had an allowance for a floor peg in its moulded design.
But there were no fixtures on the horn itself for a peg.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did use the search, and while I saw plenty of references to a peg, nobody had actually seen one in person, and the most recent reference to one that I found was at least a few years old, so I thought I'd try again for a definitive answer. The quote from xraydog is probably referencing the same ad I saw. The closest confirmation I found was the thread you quoted from hak, but even that didn't offer actual hands-on confirmation.

I find a healthy dose of due diligence (and skepticism) is a good thing when so much money is at stake. Admittedly I'd be better off skipping the peg - I probably won't use it anyway - and ordering from Matthew's or Thomann, but my curiosity got the best of me.

·
38,885 Posts
this is a picture of the Yamaha baritone with a floor peg which I found on line for you, in the third picture the actual peg

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's all well and good, but are they from a certified Yamaha dealer? They wouldn't be the first horns to use another company's name and likeness to try and swindle people out of their money, especially on eBay.. Like I said, I haven't found any official Yamaha material that shows a peg. Maybe that's because they're only available in Japan and everything I've found is in English instead of Japanese. No sense putting the peg version in the English language brochure if it's not available in that market. But still, some type of official confirmation would be nice.

·
38,885 Posts
That's all well and good, but are they from a certified Yamaha dealer? They wouldn't be the first horns to use another company's name and likeness to try and swindle people out of their money, especially on eBay.. Like I said, I haven't found any official Yamaha material that shows a peg. Maybe that's because they're only available in Japan and everything I've found is in English instead of Japanese. No sense putting the peg version in the English language brochure if it's not available in that market. But still, some type of official confirmation would be nice.
This is again from the archives. Brassbarn is a reputed shop

I will still ask Matthews (they will answer quickly) if their version of the 62 has a peg or not

In the last two weeks, I purchased two saxophones from Brass Barn. Both saxophones were brand new and sealed in factory packaging as advertised. Typically, I look for a new saxophone to be set up and adjusted prior to buying, but I felt that buying Yamaha saxophones I could take a chance with the factory set up. I don't think I'll need any adjustments for a few months.

I think the variability of some saxophone brands makes it very useful to "try before you buy." I noticed that when I bought my Yamaha YTS-875EX there was absolutely no set up; it was taken out of the box, decorked, given a play, and then handed to me. It was perfect and so I gave Brass Barn a chance twice and I'm glad I did.

I'm very happy with both saxophones (Yamaha YBS-62 and YSS-82Z) and the overall experience. I previously purchased new saxophones locally and online (USA Horn, Sam Ash, Kessler Music, and Sax Forte) and all of my experiences were good. I did take a chance with the YSS-82Z as I hadn't even found anywhere locally where it was available to buy and were I to want to have it ordered I was told I'd have to put down a 50% non-refundable deposit. I felt comfortable taking that chance because of my prior excellent experience with Brass Barn.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool. I hasn't seen that Brass Barn review before. That's something at least. Thanks.

Do you understand my initial skepticism though? Something looks different from every other version of that thing you've ever seen, and you can't find official confirmation that it should be like that. Add on the fact that it's a big investment and I think a little doubt is warranted.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
109 Posts
I hope so! Then the market might become flooded with Purple Logo YBS 62's and I can upgrade my 32.

I don't if Yamaha are looking into bringing another pro-model baritone to the market place. I think that there are enough.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
A YBS-82/875 would be competing with the Serie iii baritone which is very expensive and seems to be mainly purchased by institutions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
There have been rumors of a 82/875 Bari since the first models came out of Yamaha factories. I do not think they will ever be produced.

That floor peg assembly reminds me of one Yanagasawa had on their baris decades ago. It was a very similar design. The problem with it was the weight of the horn was shifted forward and made the sax really hard to handle without supporting it with a neck strap. I do not remember when those Yani baris were introduced or even the model number. I just remember trying one at the old Sax Shop in Evanston, IL, at McCormick Place for a Music Educator conference, and at the old Woodwind and Brasswind before moving to the location they went out of business in.

The old Hamilton stands on wheels seems to me to be a better alternative to the floor peg. The amount of weight these things add to the sax and the shifting of that weight away from the player make the saxes hard to hold and control, in my opinion.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wrote the above quoted review and I can testify that the Yamaha YBS 62 with the floor peg that I have is definitely a YBS 62. I've played a few 62's and my horn is exactly the same, but is marked YBS62II. It's only sold in Japan and if you do buy it from Brassbarn, you'll only have a Japan only warranty (read that as no warranty). Anyway, the horn is perfect 10 months after I purchased it.

Regarding YBS62 vs YBS62II, as far as I can tell, it's the just the floor peg that's different. I never use the peg as it keeps the horn too low for me. If I put a stack of books on the floor, I guess it would work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
If you have seen the Yamaha 480 Bari on YouTube at this years NAMM show, this model bari will have the option of having a floor peg on it. I guess this model is due to be released in June (?). Not sure on a price. I guess this is a replacement for the 52. Here is a link to the 480 clip, such as it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn1SwNaLmiU

1 - 18 of 18 Posts