Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,416 Posts
well, price depends a LOT from location (especially for baritones) because you may not find it easy to ship overseas (anything longer than 100cm is incredibly expensive to ship because it requires to be shipped via special methods).
You also appear to be in Luxembourg?

A 61 is such a state in Northern Europe would be worth in excess of €2800-3000. A shop may ask more but private sales go usually for less (after all you don’t offer a guarantee and often privates don’t produce invoices )

in the US they have similar value and yours is certainly not worse than this

·
Registered
58 Posts
A shop in Germany offers a YBS-61 bari for €4100 (to be found at www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de ). It has been offered since 2019, apparently no one wants it for this price (or condition ?).
However, pre owned Yamaha baritone saxophones rarely pop up here. Some weeks ago a YBS-32 sold for €2800, the lowest price in years, as far as I remember.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,271 Posts
I sold one here in Australia about 18 months or two years ago for $4500 I think.
It was in great playing shape, but didn’t look as good as this one.
It sold reasonably quickly.
Unlike the low Bb MKVI I had for sale.
In the end I traded this on a 1933 Conn transitional baritone, which I still have.
The YBS61 is a beast of a baritone though and very underrated and I believe undervalued also.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had one 6 years ago, not in pristine conditions as the one pictured here, in need of a overhaul but definitely a great instrument with a beautiful sound.
I sold it for $2,900 Canadian.
I wish I kept it😭.

·
40,416 Posts
as you can see , prices are all over the place, frankly speaking as I found a baritone for a lot less than €4100 (and from a shop!) in 5 minutes so would anyone else.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,994 Posts
And don't forget, 'pristine' it may be, but in looks only. The pads could be dried out, the oil dried up and who knows what else you could find. I would want to include in my budget at least $500 for repairs/maintenance. But that aside, I'm crazy about the funkiness of the key guards, etc., and if I didn't already have a new bari I would be looking for one of those. Considering the price of a new premium bari today, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for $5000. This could be good or bad for you depending on whether you're looking to buy or sell. And sometimes, when you may be buying from someone you know, they want to give you a 'sweetheart' deal even though they know what they could theoretically get for it with a corresponding increase in time and trouble, including packing and shipping which is a bear for baritone.

·
40,416 Posts
@shauli

once again, about shipping, do check beforehand your options in luxembourg. In the NL it is practically impossible to ship anything longer than 100cm without involving a special shipping of a courier and they will charge large amounts of money

1 - 9 of 9 Posts