Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a tenor player but am working on playing Bari. I bought a cheap old beat up Bundy online and have been working on it and just about have it in playing condition. I was thinking I'd be happy with that, but I recently came across an opportunity to buy a YBS-52. It has a couple of small dents but otherwise seems to be in pretty good shape. I think I can get it for about $1500, which sounds like an amazing deal. Am I right to think, even if I need to get some work done on it (I don't think I will), it's still a remarkable deal?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
For that price, if it's in any kind of decent shape you could buy it and sell at a nice profit if you don't like it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,405 Posts
They sell new for $4,000 ish. Good deal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,812 Posts
I’d probably get it and play it for a while until I was reminded how I’m not a fan of the Yamaha baritones, then sell it for a good profit.
Then probably regret selling it because it was actually a pretty darn good horn.
But that’s just the way I roll.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
It's a student horn made for smaller hands. Make sure yours fit.
It looks very much like the YBS-62 without the engraving. It's really professional kit, so I feel strange calling it a "student horn". How many students start out on baritone sax anyways? If the pads are still in good shape, then at $1500 it is a steal. If it needs an overhaul, then not so much. I used to play a YBS-52 and the key work does not feel small at all. That's why I switched to a Yany which doesn't feel so big for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
28,112 Posts
It's really professional kit, so I feel strange calling it a "student horn".
Didn't mean it as a slight, but they are marketed as "intermediate" horns. Like for high school age. That's why it didn't surprise me that my hands were too big for one. I do wear 4XL gloves though...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Even though I'm a big guy, I've never encountered a sax that was too small for me. I can't imagine any bari sax being too small. My piccolo is pretty darn small compared to sax, but I'm able to manage it. Similar story for my flute and clarinet. My bass sax is actually too big for my big hands, but I manage that as well thanks to a little creativity.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the ergos of the YBS-52 unless you're Andre The Giant. In that case, maybe consider bass sax.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with the above comments. I am an alto player and wanted to play around with a bari. Found a 52 about a year ago that had just been serviced by a good shop, bought it for $3,000 and I love how it plays. I didn't want to spend huge money for a 62 or a Selmer since I didn't really know if I was going to enjoy it. The horn really plays well and I have been enjoying it.

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
I recently did a search on Ebay of completed sales of YBS-52's because I might be selling one sometime in the future. The ads I looked at were from January to April. There were 12 sold and the prices ranged from $1700 (very poor condition) to $5000 (excellent condition).The average price was $3302. I also found some new YBS-52's still for sale at various music dealers for $5693. The model that followed the YBS-52 is the YBS-480. These sell new for $6279 at WWBW and Kessler and for $5980 at Heid Music.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,812 Posts
Didn't mean it as a slight, but they are marketed as "intermediate" horns. Like for high school age. That's why it didn't surprise me that my hands were too big for one. I do wear 4XL gloves though...
I also find this with the Yamahas in general.
Apart from the 61 which for me feels a little more well spread in the keywork.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Buescher 156 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 , Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari
5,131 Posts
The odd thing is that the gigging sax pros who use the YBS- 62 usually own, or actually prefer the YBS-52. There's an advantage with the 52 having a solid bell in that there's no chance of leaks developing in the joints themselves. The trade-off is that the horn becomes more difficult to work on. I personally can't recall any notable ergonomic differences between the 52 and 62 baritones, but it's been quite a while since I've compared the 2. Yamaha ergonomics always feel a bit compact to me, but not really in a bad way. They're just different from other horns that I play.

Regarding finding a YBS-52 in the $1,500 price range, I would be absolutely shocked if the horn didn't require a total overhaul. Hey, if it doesn't, you found an AMAZING deal. If it does, you'll still have a great playing baritone if you're willing to throw another one to two grand into it. Providing you have an excellent tech in your area, you're still getting a pretty good deal.

I would still go over the pictures to make sure that nothing is damaged beyond repair, or missing. However, getting Yamaha parts is generally pretty easy for authorized dealers. I can't really think of a scenario in which the horn couldn't be salvaged. Maybe if the entire thing was run over by a dump truck, and that's still only a maybe! 🤣

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Maybe sax parts are easy to get.
Last year I wanted to order a set of piano pedals for an upright. Called Yamaha and tried. They said the parts are in Japan and could take months to arrive.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts