Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know inform what is the setup that the saxophonist Yasuto Tanaka uses to interpret the music The Swan?

·
Registered
86 Posts
After countlessly searching this video I finally found it! If you look closely you can see the stone on the neck! Gotchya! It's a cannonball! To be exact it's a Vintage Reborn Pro Series Cannonball Tenor in Dark Amber Lacquer. These puppies are amazing! They offer great tone and stability throughout the range, have one of the best arrangements today (and in my opinion of all time) and the only drawback I hear of with these horns is that some people claim that they don't have as much volume as other horns and, according to that position, can't be pushed as hard as say, a yamaha. There sound is closer to a vintage horn then today's horns and they have better keywork than most horns out there. Here is a link to the vintage reborn tenor part of the cannonball website as well as Stephen Howard's recent review of them which goes in depth with the features I mention and his review is also of the Vintage Reborn tenor as well as two cannonball altos:

http://www.cannonballmusic.com/vintagetenors.php

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/cannonball_trio.htm

These are absolutely fabulous horns, but, as always, try it before you buy it. These horns are great, but be sure to try the horn out in a dealer's store before you jump on the buy. Just because someone sounds great on the horn you like doesn't mean you will too. Find the horn that works best for you and you'll be the happiest. Good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Horn is a pro level yamaha. (62/EX?)
Mouthpiece is a selmer...S80 or S90 probably
Ok, after further examination I realize that I am off. I looked again at the Cannonball bell brace and it is way different. The Yamaha bell brace resembles this one but is more circle with three point of contact and this bell attachment is more oval with only two. But I agree mouthpiece-wise; definitely something selmer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is, indeed, a Yamaha sax with a Selmer S90 mouthpiece. Gorgeous tone. Anybody know his bari setup?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yasuto Tanaka is sponsored by Yamaha!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts