Votes: 12 54.5%
  • YAS/YTS-875Z

Votes: 10 45.5%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering which one everyone plays? If its a straight down the middle. Maybe the Z on Tenor and EX on Alto or vice versa. I only ask because I purchased a EX just a few hours ago. I noticed some differences in keywork between the two especially on the right and left hand pinky keys. I also found it a little less stuffy then the Z although the Z produced armonics easy. Both have been properly setup by my tech.

So what differences did you notice in these horns and which do you prefer?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I just recently purchased a Z Tenor in Silver. I tested a Silver EX and an Un-lacquered Z as well. I found the Z more resonant than the EX ... but they are very close. I'm surprised you found the Z stuffier than the EX, because my experience was the opposite. The un-lacquered Z was a deeper / beefier tone than the silver. Than I put the un-lacquered neck on the silver horn and it sounded exactly like the un-lacquered horn. I preferred the durability and look of the silver finish, so thats the one I bought ... with a unlacquered G-1 neck.

I believe it comes down to very slight differences in the horn itself ... and MORE IMPORTANTLY in the way each individual player blows, coupled with how each horn responds to the players air stream.

I play tested all horns using my Ref 54 as a reference sound. The silver Z was very close to all the others, and none of them really was as strong as the ref, until I put the un-lacquered neck on the silver Z. This made it POP and ROAR. I couldn't be happier.

Since then, I have tried several (at least 5) other necks, including a gold plated G-1 neck, another un-laquered G1, and some selmer necks. The Un- lacquered G-1 is just the ticket for me. Others may prefer other aspects of different set ups, because of how the horn reacts to the way THEY BLOW.

There is no universal truth to these horns. Only individual experiences and they are as different as the way we all play. It's fun to learn from those experiences as long as you find your own journey ... not try to duplicate someone else's.

·
Registered
78 Posts
On the tenor I thought the Z had a brighter edgier sound whereas the EX was darker and more traditional sounding. I bought an EXB tenor. I use a metal link 6* and VanDoren ZZ 3 reeds. I thought both horns are much more edgy than say a Ref 36 or a B&S Medusa, both of which have a more vintage type of sound to my ear, but the EX was definately a darker sound than the Z to my ear and with my mpc etc.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can this poll can be placed under the YAMAHA section I only thought I could post polls in this section but would prefer that it is in the yamaha section.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
You might also want to add a "both" option...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
It's actually 82Z, but FWIW I tried an original 875 (non-ex) and it seemed to have a more homogenous, compact, dark sound than the Z. The Z had more buzz and vibrance. Not sure that I fell in love with either, though the keywork on the Yamahas is really slick!

My B&S seems to fall somewhere in the middle which I think I like better.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Eddie Milburn plays a 875 Alto with a Selmer Series II neck !!!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
First off, if you're going to be switching between any two saxes be prepared for some ergonomic adjustments, regardless. If you're comparing within the Yamaha camp, IMO it's immaterial if there are some ergo differences, they're not going to be pronounced. If I had to choose, it would be 875 EX on alto and UL Z on tenor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts