Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts on the differences in sound with the YAS EXS and the EX? I currently own the silver plated horn and love it; however I played the EX the other day and found it to be much more darker in sound; as one might expect. Also, my sliver horn has a G1 neck whereas the gold horn has a V1 neck. I am not familiar enough with them to know the differences in the necks. I am very much thinking about selling my EXS to get the EX. Any thoughts.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Hi Kat! Did you swap necks while you were comparing horns? They can have a big effect. If the EX is still available to A/B with your horn, I'd swap necks on both horns and compare them before replacing your horn outright. Also, if you were in a music store that has other Yamaha altos available, I'd swap necks from those other Yamaha altos onto your sax, as well. That may be all you need, and if you get a different neck, you'll not only have the flexibility of having two necks (the original and the new one) for any occasions that arise, you'll save yourself the trouble (and maybe loss of money) in swapping saxes altogether.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I'd be more inclined to believe the difference in tone is due to the necks. Try a v1 or G3 on your horn, you might be pleasantly surprised. In my experience the G1 is the brightest neck Yamaha makes with a G3 being the darkest. Also FWIW, whenever I A-B'd silver and lacquer 'equals', the silver horn actually played darker.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Gary, yes I tried switching necks but didn't seem to make the silver much darker. I am however going to go back to the store with my horn and play both at the same time to get a better comparison.

I personally like my silver but I was just blown away at how much darker the other horn sounded/appeared to be. But we shall see tomorrow...

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Maybe you just need to get a Keilwerth. :mrgreen:

(see my signature)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The VI neck is very different from the G1. I'm guessing the difference is mainly the neck. Any other difference between the silver and lacquer is probably psychological.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts