Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of these saxophones do you prefer for classical music? Which is the darkest? Which is the brightest?

·
Registered
106 Posts
As a matter of preference I like the Yamaha and Yanagisawa the best. The Selmer is still a great choice, just wasn't something I prefered. I also can't comment on the Keilwerth as I havent played on that model, but if it shares characteristics with the tenor model, I'm sure it would be a great choice... In truth all 4 horns are great choices, it is really a matter of your own preference. What is it you are looking for in terms of sound, ergonomics, overall feel? Each horn has the ability to be dark and brit depending on set up, but more importantly the player. Try each, and pick the one you find gets you closest to your desired tone and feel...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I once owned an A-992 - nice enough horn but not quite what I wanted. So, I feel authorized to comment here.

I keep telling this story but it obviously needs to be repeated . . . darkness and brightness in a horn is subjective - governed by what the player wants to hear AND how the player plays it. Example - I once traded altos with a guy subbing in our band. I handed him my Reference 54 (the darkest alto I've ever played) and he blew a few notes. He said, "Nice and bright." DAVE

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Thank you for the replies.

Here's another question: which of these horns has the best intonation?
Yamaha, but Selmer is second only by just a slight bit. Negligible differences, they're all modern horns.

For what it's worth I prefer the SA80II. Yamahas play "brittle" for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts