Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YAS 875 or Selmer Balanced Action?

Which one would you choose? I'm now bothering about which one should I keep.
Any advise for me, please!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
Can you get a decent sound on either one? If not, sell them both.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
As an investment, the Balanced Action, which will retain it's value overtime. But, as Frank said:

"If you're going to a playing situation, which one do you reach for first? That's your keeper."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
I would go for the one you think you are getting the best sound out of. My guess would be the BA but I'm not objective since I own one and don't know much about the Y's. The most important thing to me is sound so that's what I would go for, you can get used to keys and the BA's are pretty good in that dept.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for you guys' advise.

Cause initially I bought the Yas for classical pieces practicing, and now I have a chance to get the Balanced Action. I play classic saxophone pieces only for examination and i love jazz indeed! But I will just choose either of them cause I just can afford one. It's a hard decision to make, cause the Yas I own has a good sound, I love it so much.... but the condition of the BA is perfect.

Is it possible to use BA to play classic? What is your comment on the BA?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
You'll get more 'approval' from fellow sax players with the Selmer.

If I saw both horns for sale I'd be more interested in the Yamaha. I haven't had much luck with Selmers and I've played a bunch. I've had great luck with Yamahas and I've played only a few.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
I play a BA and it's a wonderful horn, great sound. My only complaint is that the left hand pinky table can be a bit clunky for someone with small hands like mine. Since I play blues and jazz I can play around those problems, but for classical playing I'm not so sure you can.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
Cause initially I bought the Yas for classical pieces practicing, and now I have a chance to get the Balanced Action. I play classic saxophone pieces only for examination and i love jazz indeed! But I will just choose either of them cause I just can afford one. It's a hard decision to make, cause the Yas I own has a good sound, I love it so much.... but the condition of the BA is perfect.

Is it possible to use BA to play classic? What is your comment on the BA?
It is certainly possible to play classical on most any saxophone - the issue is which horn works for you. Witness that popular horns range from early Bueschers to current Selmers/Yamahas/Yanagisawas, etc.

I contest that, for anyone short of a professional, should be able to play jazz and classical equally well on most any good horn. Whether the tone/response/action of one horn is better than another for you is something that you need to determine.

Of the two you mention, I'd prefer the Selmer. On the other hand, were I in the search for a horn, I would pick neither of those two. I have owned Balanced Action Selmers and loved them for what they were. If I were looking for an alto, I would likely buy either (another) Serie II or see if I could find a good Ref 54.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts