Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal with all these used YAS 82ZII being sold? Am I missing something? Is there something going wrong with the quality an issue? I'm in the market for one but now I have questions. Anyone have an answer?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Just a hunch but speaking with a few of the sax specialty shops they seem to be selling a lot more Yamaha's new than anything else. Not a lot of shops carry or stock Yani's and the price increases from Selmer over the last 4-5 years for many has rendered them unattractive by comparison. Shops make just as much net profit on a Yamaha, they're cheaper to stock, and the they typically require far less setup work. More new horns sold means eventually more used horns available.

Another observation is that this time of the year often favors the buyer. Lots of used stuff up for sale as people try to find cash to pay for Christmas, upcoming tax bills, or just make a New Year's resolution to cut down on the amount of gear they've accumulated. Right now there's just more of everything up for sale and a lot of it at very good prices.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Where are you seeing this glut of used 82ZII's for sale? There's 1 on eBay and 3 on Reverb, and I think I've seen 1 or 2 here on SOTW.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where are you seeing this glut of used 82ZII's for sale? There's 1 on eBay and 3 on Reverb, and I think I've seen 1 or 2 here on SOTW.
I have actually been watching it over the past few months to be honest. I have seen a number go quickly on Ebay and a couple on Reverb. The ones that are there now are different than the ones I saw.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a hunch but speaking with a few of the sax specialty shops they seem to be selling a lot more Yamaha's new than anything else. Not a lot of shops carry or stock Yani's and the price increases from Selmer over the last 4-5 years for many has rendered them unattractive by comparison. Shops make just as much net profit on a Yamaha, they're cheaper to stock, and the they typically require far less setup work. More new horns sold means eventually more used horns available.

Another observation is that this time of the year often favors the buyer. Lots of used stuff up for sale as people try to find cash to pay for Christmas, upcoming tax bills, or just make a New Year's resolution to cut down on the amount of gear they've accumulated. Right now there's just more of everything up for sale and a lot of it at very good prices.

I guess that would make sense. I wasn't really thinking about Christmas as well. I also did not know that YAS's require less setup work. This actually helps my thought process about my next alto because I was thinking about a R&C R1 Jazz alto that I saw for sale, but I guess I need to factor repair costs for the future. Thanks KeithL

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have actually been watching it over the past few months to be honest. I have seen a number go quickly on Ebay and a couple on Reverb. The ones that are there now are different than the ones I saw.
I've also been watching over the past half year or so (recently bought one myself) and I didn't see any unusual variance in the number of 82ZII's sold compared to other horns. On eBay, I think there have been about 4 of 5 in the past couple of months (used).

In the past 90 days, only 1 "used" and 1 "new - other" 82ZII has been sold on eBay (most of what have been sold are the old model 82Z's):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_TitleDesc=0

Incidentally, I was the one who bought that "pre-owned" 82ZII from Alto Music on December 8 -- it's actually a virtually brand new display model that hadn't even been played (just displayed). In the previous months, I saw one silver 82ZII and maybe 2 or 3 regular 82ZII's sell on eBay (again, talking about used). There was one 82ZII that was virtually unused but had a small ding on the lip of the bell that got snatched while I was putting in my payment info (sold for $2,550 or so, if I remember correctly).

On Reverb, I can recall maybe 2-3, perhaps 4, in the past 4 months or so.

Full disclosure: I am not planning on holding on to my 82ZII because I also bought a Yani AWO1 and I prefer it over the 82ZII (already have a Mark VI as my primary horn).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've also been watching over the past half year or so (recently bought one myself) and I didn't see any unusual variance in the number of 82ZII's sold compared to other horns. On eBay, I think there have been about 4 of 5 in the past couple of months (used).

In the past 90 days, only 1 "used" and 1 "new - other" 82ZII has been sold on eBay (most of what have been sold are the old model 82Z's):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_TitleDesc=0

Incidentally, I was the one who bought that "pre-owned" 82ZII from Alto Music on December 8 -- it's actually a virtually brand new display model that hadn't even been played (just displayed). In the previous months, I saw one silver 82ZII and maybe 2 or 3 regular 82ZII's sell on eBay (again, talking about used). There was one 82ZII that was virtually unused but had a small ding on the lip of the bell that got snatched while I was putting in my payment info (sold for $2,550 or so, if I remember correctly).

On Reverb, I can recall maybe 2-3, perhaps 4, in the past 4 months or so.

Full disclosure: I am not planning on holding on to my 82ZII because I also bought a Yani AWO1 and I prefer it over the 82ZII (already have a Mark VI as my primary horn).

Nice stats on the web. Maybe I was overwhelmed by the amount of 82z new and old as well as 82zII. Maybe.... How do you find the tonal comparison of the Yani AWO1 to the 82ZII?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Nice stats on the web. Maybe I was overwhelmed by the amount of 82z new and old as well as 82zII. Maybe.... How do you find the tonal comparison of the Yani AWO1 to the 82ZII?
I find that they are more similar than different (both are great but not quite as good as the Mark VI, which has the fullest and sweetest sound among the 3). They both sound brighter and are both very responsive. The Yamaha I've found has a little bit better intonation. However, I find the Yany a bit more robust and fuller sounding (the Yamaha sounds thinner to my ears). I also find that I can push the Yani a bit more, whereas the Yamaha tends to stay more in the middle, if that makes sense. I did buy the Yany used and the Yamaha virtually new (on display for 2 months, never played... mouthpiece and accessories still in unopened packages), so maybe it's just a matter of the Yamaha not being "broken in." I did feel the changes (improvements) to the feel of the Yamaha over the time I've played it (mostly to A-B and then try on its own for a bit).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I may be getting one. For me the 6 has more sound and feel, but the Yamaha's are easier to play and sound good on. I've been looking and don't notice a glut, so to speak, as the op mentions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Years ago when I thought I was in the market for a new 82Z alto, I test-played as many as I could find in SoCal (maybe six or seven as i recall). None of them tripped my trigger - and I found a variance among them, all of them not very well set-up, and some of them right out of the shipping carton. They all definitely needed better dealer-prep.

I finally was able to buy one used from a fellow SOTW member who needed to sell his. He'd bought it from Anaheim Band and it was obvious they'd done a good job in setting it up.

However, the seller eventually wanted the horn back and I gladly let him have it back. While it was nice, I just didn't care for it.

Then, I sought a new Yanagisawa AW01 and after testing two (that played great, one taken right out of the shipping carton and handed to me), I ended up buying one sight-unseen, from The Netherlands (Matthews) because of the huge price differential. I still have it - it plays great. DAVE

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I find that they are more similar than different (both are great but not quite as good as the Mark VI, which has the fullest and sweetest sound among the 3). They both sound brighter and are both very responsive. The Yamaha I've found has a little bit better intonation. However, I find the Yany a bit more robust and fuller sounding (the Yamaha sounds thinner to my ears). I also find that I can push the Yani a bit more, whereas the Yamaha tends to stay more in the middle, if that makes sense. I did buy the Yany used and the Yamaha virtually new (on display for 2 months, never played... mouthpiece and accessories still in unopened packages), so maybe it's just a matter of the Yamaha not being "broken in." I did feel the changes (improvements) to the feel of the Yamaha over the time I've played it (mostly to A-B and then try on its own for a bit).
The pro who ended up buying my 82ZII sounded terrific on it when he tested it prior to finalizing the deal. He had previously played on just one horn his entire life -- an 82Z. When I let him play my Mark VI (which everyone who's played it has raved about), he actually sounded mediocre on it compared to when he played the 82ZII.

However, for him, the G-1 neck actually worked better than the V-1 neck. He almost didn't buy the horn, but when he swapped out the V-1 neck on the 82ZII for the G-1 neck on his old horn, that sealed the deal...

·
Registered
258 Posts
WHATs the diff btwn 82z and 82zii? Is the latter just the newer model?

This biggest difference is the V1, E1 and C1 neck. The V1 is standard but you can request the C1 if you prefer it. If your not accustomed to a free blowing horn the V1 may take some time to adjust, the C1 will give you more of a "vintage feel" and the E1 is the goldilocks of the 3. There are some slight changes to the neck-tenon (most notably on the lacquered) is much like the famous Selmer MK VI; Silver. The lacquer is a darker gold than on the 82zI. The 82Zii employs a one piece bell IMO it does provide a richer bottom to the Saxophone. I think it is a great Saxophone and could be looked at as a modern classic in 20 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts