Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i recently tried out 2 seperate s3 models, they both had the same problem wavering in the low b and bb, i was supporting my sound, i was playing straight with NO intended vibrato, my reed wasn't cracked, chipped, etc. nor was my mouthpiece, i don't know if this is because i'm essentially a beginner (long story), its a design flaw, or simply a mismaintained floor demo, the video is below ANY help is appreciated, i wasn't seriously trying to make a good sound just trying to see whats the deal here
thanks
setup:
2 Legere studio cut
vandoren optimum al3
rico h lig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOg3N0eOMLU

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Sounds like your mouthpiece may be pulled out too far. The mouthpiece volume is over long causing the distortion you're hearing and feeling. If you checked with a tuner you'd see some really wacky results. There's nothing wrong with the 62III, they're well enough designed that they'll play through a ton of actual problems.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,908 Posts
I'll agree with the mouthpiece being pulled out too far. There may also be a leak, or the bell is out of alignment, but it's best to start with the simple fixes first.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ditto above and possibly a mouthpiece sax mismatch, I have mouthpieces that sound great on one sax but then cause problems with certain notes on other makes or models. Try a stock 5c mouthpiece and make an assessment then.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ditto above and possibly a mouthpiece sax mismatch, I have mouthpieces that sound great on one sax but then cause problems with certain notes on other makes or models. Try a stock 5c mouthpiece and make an assessment then.
Hmm, a Yamaha with an AL3 is a quite common setup played by a lot of classical saxophonists --for example Jean-Yves Fourmeau.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,908 Posts
Yamaha saxophones are as mouthpiece friendly as a horn can get. Unless the AL3 is majorly flawed, the piece shouldn't cause an issue.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hmm, a Yamaha with an AL3 is a quite common setup played by a lot of classical saxophonists --for example Jean-Yves Fourmeau.
agreed - just thinking that this would eliminate any mouthpiece defect issue, I also have mouthpieces that work great on my original Yamaha 62 but cause G2 to wobble. I concur that the most likely issue is the mouthpiece is not on sufficiently changing the dynamic of the standing wave enough to cause an issue with the low notes.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
agreed - just thinking that this would eliminate any mouthpiece defect issue, I also have mouthpieces that work great on my original Yamaha 62 but cause G2 to wobble. I concur that the most likely issue is the mouthpiece is not on sufficiently changing the dynamic of the standing wave enough to cause an issue with the low notes.
Well, the AL3 is probably one of the mouthpieces with which they check their prototypes. And an incompatibility would be considered a fatal flow and would mean mean that the prototype does not come into production (can you imagine a similar situation were a modern alto would be incompatible with a Meyer mouthpiece or a tenor incompatible with an Otto Link ?).

Now, the mouthpiece of the OP could be flawed, though he says it is not chipped. But the Vandoren mouthpieces are quite consistant and unless the OP washed his mouthpiece with hot water, the post #2 gives a more likely explanation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i appreciate everyone's feedback, unfortunately i did wash in hot water, hoping i didn't dud it, as when i started off on bari i washed in hot water the whole year with no bad results, ( which was a selmer c* ) nor alto, however it was dropped from about 2 and a half feet ( a while back ) but i've thoroughly inspected it and seems fine no cracks nothing , i've had this mouthpiece for a year under which 90% was not used due to a long and winded story. but i'm going to get on that immediantly and see what's up,

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i appreciate everyone's feedback, unfortunately i did wash in hot water, hoping i didn't dud it, as when i started off on bari i washed in hot water the whole year with no bad results, ( which was a selmer c* ) nor alto, however it was dropped from about 2 and a half feet ( a while back ) but i've thoroughly inspected it and seems fine no cracks nothing , i've had this mouthpiece for a year under which 90% was not used due to a long and winded story. but i'm going to get on that immediantly and see what's up,
Hot water can warp a hard rubber mouthpiece. It depends on how hot it was...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hot water can warp a hard rubber mouthpiece. It depends on how hot it was...
Hot to the touch but not enough to let off steam, it was a bathroom sink, which don't get insanely hot, but just practicing there i must have shook off a lot of rust or lost my familiarity, once i picked up a 82z i was able to rip through chromatics and play the b and bb easy, i haven't played on a modern alto in 1 year, i played bari first then had to switch to alto ( long story ), after the 82z i got back on the 62 and played so much easier, been playing on a naked lady for less than a month and it's an all different monster in it's own, microtuner, tapered neck, underslung octave key, different ergos etc. my phone was dead so i couldn't record

I pushed in too which helped immensely

1 - 11 of 11 Posts