Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a choice to either buy a new yas 62II or a original yas 62. MI heard that the 62 is more flexible and it has better tone, ive heard that the yas 62II has some intonation problems , such as the notes being very sharp,( idk if it has to do with the defected neck problem). But I would like to know yalls opinions about the original 62 and the 62II. Also whats the difference between the purple logo and the regular 62? Thanks for the opinions! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
The original purple logo 62 was a classic.
A far better (lively?) horn than the 62II's made today. Not to say the 62II is at all a bad horn, the purple logo's are generally the better option.

I've compared 62II's and purple logo's with my silver 82z and the 82z blows them both out of the water. A friends purple logo tenor does the same to my 62II (the tenor 62's are the dogs of the bunch).

As always, your better off playing them both and choosing. If not, I think the purple logo is the better option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've played an older 62 for longer than I'm comfortable admitting. About five years ago I ordered three new ones from WWBW and ended up sending them all back. None of them played as well as my old one. Of course, it's a horn that I am very, very used to. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,829 Posts
I can only compare to what i,ve heard, and in a band i play in the other sax player has a 62II, personally i feel the tone of the purple logo 62, [i have one] is superior the tone seems a bit richer, and thats probably an important factor as yams, are typically bright.
None the less! either is a good horn and you wont go wrong, but i agree i think the older 62 has that something extra,as ever the ergonomics are top class,most yamahas are very easy to play,i played on a silver 62[tenor] and to me that was superb..great tone,a sax that could do anything you asked of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
574 Posts
The 62IIs with intonation problems had a defective neck. Yamaha offered replacement necks for those models, IIRC. Any new one won't have this issue. The original 62s had real MOP keys...the 62II have plastic instead of MOP. The 62II and late original 62s have a nice pinky table.

Both are good horns though.

fm

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
I had one of the older YAS-62's(engraved not purple logo)and it was a very good sax that I wish I still had. Better than the 62II's IMHO.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The 62IIs with intonation problems had a defective neck. Yamaha offered replacement necks for those models, IIRC. Any new one won't have this issue. The original 62s had real MOP keys...the 62II have plastic instead of MOP. The 62II and late original 62s have a nice pinky table.

fm
Which ones have a defective neck? Is there a serial number range or website I can go to to find out?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love my YAS 62II! I've tried my private teacher's original 62, and I like my horn much more. I actually think that there's more depth in mine. Then again, it is older and a bit worn compared to my 1 year old sax. (Just make sure you get the G1 neck.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Here's my take:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Yamaha_YAS62.htm

I haven't found any appreciable difference between the early 62s and the later MK1s - at least none that can't be attributed to the differences between any apparently identical horns.

Musicman sums it up...there's more depth to the MKIIs, but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Regards,

·
Registered
20 Posts

fm
I have a 62II and I notice there are intonation problems, the high notes are extremely sharp, etc. I may have problem in my neck ? or I would have to try a new neck like a V1 or so ?
Help me please

1 - 12 of 12 Posts