Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local music store where they had one new YAS 62II. They wanted $2,600 for it. It was a good horn except for one thing; the whole lower octave except for the low Bb was uniformly 5 cents low. When you hit D2 it was right in tune all the way up. Could that be just me? What do you think?

·
Registered
541 Posts
the lower register on mine is fine...but...middle B,C and C# are flat, D2 and E2 are sharp...but I believe that is common in most horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Bottom on most Tenors I have played have leaned to the flat side. Only 2 Tenors I have played have been spot on, and one was Beaugnier Vito. The intonation was too perfect on that! So centered it was much harder to "color" the notes, like I get w/my Couf, which is far more spread, but much more flexible.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of my teachers, someone who is a very fine jazz sax soloist, teacher and a band director, played the sax. He said it was a GREAT horn. I'm thinking of taking his word because I really know nothing. I'll tell you, I'm a bit torn.

·
Registered
541 Posts
One thing that you have to keep in mind is that you'll have to play the new sax for a while to get used to it...and that includes intonation...it's like you'll have to study the sax itself.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing that you have to keep in mind is that you'll have to play the new sax for a while to get used to it...and that includes intonation...it's like you'll have to study the sax itself.
That's what I think. I might even change to a different MPC. I'm buying it new because I think it will pay in the long run. The best repairman in the area works for the store and will take very good care of me. They give a 12 month interest free loan and will pay the whole thing off in 11 months.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I bought my YAS-62IIS here on the forum actually...used, for a very good price and in excellent condition.
and what I mean by that is that maybe you should consider buying a used one instead of a brand new one. Just throwing that out there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,628 Posts
Being one of the most successful saxophones ever one could fairly assume that intonation is not a major problem with any Yamaha , while some people seem to prefer different necks on this horn I would say that matching your mouthpiece to your horn and your embouchure is probably the way to go to solve this problem but I don't think that the problem is with one of the most popular professional saxophones in the world.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought my YAS-62IIS here on the forum actually...used, for a very good price and in excellent condition.
I've thought about that, but I'm tired of cutting corners. I want a sax that works form the beginning, and I don't have to worry about it for a few years. Maybe I'll end up paying even $1,000, more but in the long run iI think it will be worth it to me (I think).

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
is uniformly almost in tune...that's a good thing! =)
your sax is great...just put the cork on the mouthpiece tuning middle G (without 8 key).. then you just have to relax embouchure form D2 up..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts