Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so for 2 years as of November I have had my YAS-62ii my intonation has always off. I have the G1 neck, and I am considering the G3 but I do not know if this will solve my problem as no local shops have it in stock for me to try. I have a Vandoren AL3 mouthpiece if that makes a difference. C#'s and B's are flat, middle D's are sharp, normal C's can vary greatly. I've heard some people mention getting it setup, but i have no clue what this means or if it will help me. I have a dent in the neck (Exterior only though, no bump/difference on the inside), but even before that I have had tuning problems, and I plan to buy a new neck anyway because of this so I also wouldn't mind some opinions on some necks that work with the YAS-62ii.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Have you tried any other mouthpieces? I get very good intonation with a C* on my 82Z, which is quite similar to your sax.

Also, your reeds might be a little soft for the tip opening of the AL3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried any other mouthpieces? I get very good intonation with a C* on my 82Z, which is quite similar to your sax.

Also, your reeds might be a little soft for the tip opening of the AL3.
I have tried other mouthpieces, quite a few actually. I went mouthpiece shopping and the AL3 had the tone I liked best and had the least intonation problems among the bunch. I have tried the Yamaha 4c it came with, Vandoren AL3, Vandoren AL4, Selmer C*, and quite a few others I can't remember the names of. And right now I am using a Vandoren ZZ (Black box) 3.5 reed, and they don't make them any stronger than a 3.5 for some reason, but I like them. I switch between that and a Vandoren Traditional 3 which could stand to be a 3.5 or 4 but I bought a box of 10 and I'm not gonna get new ones until I finish the box or until there are only duds left.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,550 Posts
you know....... sometimes , some horns and some folks aren't cut for each other and you better put your money and energy into something else.

I am not saying that your horn is a lemon. It is almost impossible that Yamaha ever made a bad horn, they have impressive standards and quality control.
But the best thing to do is to sell the horn and go search for a horn that gives you no such intonation problems.

I speak out of experience, this can suck up you energy completely and give you so much unneeded aggravation that it is just not worth it. Take the punishment (you will loose money) and get yourself a horn with which you will fall in love immediately.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,978 Posts
How flat and how sharp are the notes? Tp some degree this is normal on almost every sax. 99% of the saxes I have played are flat on middle B and C compared to the sharpness of middle D,E, and F. You have to adjust these notes by the wat you play. If your talking a razy amount then that is a different story.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Did your 62II slip through the net of recalls?

Yamaha addressed the tuning problems with the (non-Custom) G1 crook a few years back and recalled them in replacement for the ones that were made with the correct taper from what I heard (on good authority), so maybe this one slipped through undetected.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Did your 62II slip through the net of recalls?

Yamaha addressed the tuning problems with the (non-Custom) G1 crook a few years back and recalled them in replacement for the ones that were made with the correct taper from what I heard (on good authority), so maybe this one slipped through undetected.
So the problem was only with the (non-Custom) G1 necks? That's a relief, I have a custom G1 neck on my yas-875, but I haven't noticed any severe intonation problems either. After reading the threads, I also couldn't find the little dot on the octave key guide either, so I was a little worried.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
At the time, the old 62 crook was being supplied with the YAS-475 as standard and the YAS-62II got the new G1 crook (which caused tuning/intonation problems due to a manufacturing error) though putting the old 62 crook back onto the 62II cured these problems.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah, my YAS-62II (cca 2005) came with the G1 neck. It was terrible, but not subject to the "recall."

I replaced my neck with an M1 which works much nicer for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's the best way to tell if your neck was supposed to be recalled? Is there a way to check serials? Or is it just check the tuning and then replace if necessary?

·
Registered
198 Posts
What's the best way to tell if your neck was supposed to be recalled? Is there a way to check serials? Or is it just check the tuning and then replace if necessary?
I guess you'd have to call Yamaha. But that was SO LONG AGO (years) you might be out of luck now...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts