Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to upgrade from my YAS 100 to a YAS 62II but there are only 2 options to go: Silver plated or Gold Lacquer.

Just for the look, I still prefer the two tone King 20 Super Silversonic. I am thinking about buying 2 YAS 62 of different colors then have them mixed up to have 2 dual tone horns.

Anyone had done the same before? Would it affect the tone or anything? And what kind of names should I call the new horns?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Having a plated neck and bell wouldn't change the way it sounds. The most cost effective solution would be to simply buy a lacquered horn and have the neck and bell plated (although it would still be a reasonable amount of money to do this). It might even be possible to have a custom ordered alto with a silver plated bell (getting a silver neck is as easy as ordering one).

Of course the other option would be to buy a King :bluewink:.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I know Yanagisawa finishes the keywork to the specific horn body, suggesting interchangeable keywork might not work. I don't know that Yamaha does the same level of fit and finish though, but the seats in the pads might give you a headache if nothing else.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
It's do-able - but yes, you'd have to have the bell section pads reset/replaced on each horn.
If it affects the tone at all it'll be by so little that you'd be hard put to notice it.

What names to call them? Easy... Yamaha Sixty Two-Twos.

Regards,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks All for your suggestions. I never thought about the pad setting problem.

My friend and I both want to upgrade from the etude Yas so that was the plan. The Yan 9933 is out of my reach both financially and geographicaly.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You can custom order the finish you want from Yamaha if you don't mind a long wait. It will be expensive, but not as expensive as two horns...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts