Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently borrowing a YAS-62 while my saxophone is in the shop, and found the neck angle on it seems really high. I had to adjust my neck strap down 3 inches or so from its normal position to get the mouthpiece at the right height. This is the first Yamaha I've played, so I'm not sure if this is by design, or if perhaps this particular neck has been bent or customized in some way. Any ideas?

I've only really played on Selmer altos, so I don't have a lot of points of comparison. Attached below is a picture of the YAS neck next to an old Bundy neck I had lying around (but isn't too different from the main Selmer neck I'm used to). You can see how much higher that angle is, and how much higher the mouthpiece would end up.
View attachment 243906

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Holy hell, that 62 neck is SERIOUSLY pulled up. That's pretty drastic. Whoever you're borrowing that horn from needs to have that neck taken care of. The octave key is barely sitting in the "horseshoe" when closed. It must completely clear it when opened up. Yikes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah good, glad to know I'm not crazy. It definitely seemed wrong to me. In addition to having to lower the horn a lot I had to push it out and away from me to get it angled in order to play.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
It's hard to tell from a photo, but it looks like the neck is distinctly BENT right about where the octave vent is. Lay a straightedge on it and see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts