Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find a replacement neck for my son's sax.

YAS 62 II with a G1 neck
It is in new condition, no dings or dents any where.

First off, I'm not a musician, so bare with me.
I took my son's sax to be checked out by a music store because he said it plays flat through-out.

The store confirmed this with a tuner, but doesn't carry Yamaha.

They were great in trying to help us. This is what they did:
1. Checked pad alignment, tried different mouth pieces, reeds and positions, no luck.
2. tried different necks from his own different brand saxes.

He found a neck from his old Selmer Mk 7 that fixed it and brought it up.
Moving the mouth piece forward or back allowed further adjustment.

None of the Yamaha authorized dealers I tried have any 62-II necks in stock.
The closest dealer is over 1/2 hr away.
I'm not willing to buy one without knowing if it will definitely solve the problem, and
they're not willing to order one for trial and error. (I can't blame them for that)
It's about 10 years old, so I'm assuming no warranty even if the neck was defective.

My dilemma...
I don't know if buying another G1 neck will solve the problem.
I just know a MK 7 neck will.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Does anyone know what Yamaha Alto sax neck the Selmer Mk 7 is comparable to?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I own a YAS 62 II. Love the damn horn. I'm currently in College studying jazz if that gives you any idea of my expertise. I had to learn how to tune the horn and make adjustments while playing. I took mine to a decent tech who got the horn in tune. Just try to find someone who does work overhalling horns and they can get the horn in tune. They are good horns just need to learn how to play them.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

YAS 62 II with a G1 neck

I took my son's sax to be checked out by a music store because he said it plays flat through-out.

1. Checked pad alignment, tried different mouth pieces, reeds and positions, no luck.

I'm not willing to buy one without knowing if it will definitely solve the problem, and
they're not willing to order one for trial and error. (I can't blame them for that)
It's about 10 years old, so I'm assuming no warranty even if the neck was defective.

My dilemma...

Your comment about the Mark 7 neck makes me wonder: is the problem simply that you can't position the mouthpiece on the cork correctly?

It seems impossible that any reputable music store would fail to notice such a simple problem, so I'm probably way off base. But is it possible you just need to adjust the neck cork so that the mouthpiece can be positioned correctly?

Yamaha has excellent quality control, and it would be very unusual for a 62 to be so messed up that the whole horn played flat, no matter what mouthpiece you used or how it was positioned. You really shouldn't need to buy a new neck to fix an intonation problem, ever.

Can you push the mouthpiece all the way to the edge of cork? And if yes, does the horn still play flat when you do that? If no, try adjusting the cork so that you can push the mouthpiece further in.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I would also suggest you have your son's embouchure checked out with a qualified saxophone teacher. I have a YAS-62II and it's a beautiful in tune instrument. I also own a Cannonball alto and it also plays fairly well in tune. However, I've been having problems as of late playing in tune, and that's all on me. My embouchure got sloppy and things got wack. Anyway, I've been working on it and I'm coming back around. So, just food for thought.

As for the necks WWBW as an assortment. I believe they have a return policy. https://www.wwbw.com/Yamaha-Saxophone-Necks.wwbw

This is worth a look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvvilCbPjfQ

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've heard the G1 neck that the YAS-62II came with had intonation problems and Yamaha recalled them. I would suggest ordering the current V1 neck for about $300.00 from Pro Winds or WWBW.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I've heard the G1 neck that the YAS-62II came with had intonation problems and Yamaha recalled them. I would suggest ordering the current V1 neck for about $300.00 from Pro Winds or WWBW.
A recall? Don't think so. I liked the G-1 neck that came with mine. So I ordered a G-1 for my tenor as well.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2015
713 Posts

YAS 62 II with a G1 neck

My dilemma...

I can understand this must be a frustrating situation for you. I have heard that some people have intonation issues with the G1 neck, but some don't. I have also noticed that most of the complaints are centered around notes b3 and above playing sharp. I haven't heard of the G1 neck systematically playing flat throughout the instrument, but if this is the case, I imagine pushing the mouthpiece farther onto the neck would ameliorate the issue. If it's only certain notes that are playing flat, then I don't have any suggestions other than to wait while your son receives proper instruction to better support his embouchure. The saxophone is not like a piano in the sense that it is perfectly tuned and simply playing the notes brings about perfect intonation.

If you were concerned your son's instrument had issues above b3, then I would recommend the C1 neck from Yamaha, which is the original Yamaha 62 neck. That would remedy the situation. But from the sound of the stated concerns, I think a better developed embouchure will best help correct the situation. I wish you the best as you try to resolve this frustrating situation.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
There were MANY issues with the G1 necks when they came out. MANY! I remember it being all over the forum and also people I knew personally had the issues. Even one time I walked into a sam ash store to buy reeds and there was a father and son showing the store representative that the instrument didn’t play in tune. The son played the horn (and was quite an accomplished young player) but the sam ash person said it was probably just the kid. I intervened and suggested the kid try another Yamaha neck that was there. g2 I believe. Then bam, pitch was excellent up and down the horn. Yes, the issue was with the upper register. The father, with evidence now had something to show the employee and the employee called up a manager and started talking about how to get Yamaha involved.

In fact, I recall some large music repair shop that has made a YouTube video showing how to repair this issue. I might look for it if others don’t know of it already. They have to change the inner taper.

I just had a student buy a used Yamaha on eBay. I told them they *had to* make sure the instrument didn’t have a G1 neck. They searched for around two weeks until one at their price point came up. They kept asking if they could just buy one with a G1 neck and then buy a V1 aftermarket, but I kept reminding them that the price would go up a lot. They have a Yamaha 62iii now and are very happy.

I learned a lot of useful things on this forum about saxophones and am very surprised people don’t remember this one.
So long story short, avoid the G1 neck unless you are an experienced player and can properly test it out first. Those necks don’t *always* play in tune.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I was looking for something else on YouTube and found the video I had mentioned. I recall them saying it was the Yamaha 62 with G-1 neck at the time though they don’t seem to say it in the video. But....here it is.
https://youtu.be/CChrZiY-J3A

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I was looking for something else on YouTube and found the video I had mentioned. I recall them saying it was the Yamaha 62 with G-1 neck at the time though they don’t seem to say it in the video. But....here it is.
https://youtu.be/CChrZiY-J3A

I'm pretty sure that here on SOTW there a lots of discussions concerning horns (of any make) that don't play in tune and it's been blamed on the neck. In some instances I'm sure that's the case. In others it's the horn and for most of them it's probably the player.

I can't imagine that going through the process of reworking a neck like whats being done in this video could be cheaper than buying a replacement neck. I think the video is ridiculous and that anyone considering a fix like this must be naive and or inexperienced. Seems to me that Music Medic is just looking to drum up business. Yamaha makes plenty of different necks for their horns and that's always going to be the most effective way to deal with this issue.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
If a Selmer MKVII neck works, you could also try a Series III neck.
Personally I’d stick with a Yamaha neck.
All the Yamaha horns I’ve had were the most in tune (locked in) I’ve ever played.
Apart from Yanagisawa’s of course.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
@Reet, I have no idea how much that repair costs, but seeing that Yamaha V1 necks cost $300, I can see it as a possibility that this repair could cost less. (This video I assume is a G1 neck, which was the new neck at the time like the V1, which is why I am using as an example price)

Besides, the point of all of this is that the G1 neck we are discussing played badly out of tune. Not the player, not the horn, the neck. If I ever see a post about not being to play in tune, I make the same assumptions as you did, unless the G1 neck is involved.

As to music medic trying to get business, I think they were just trying to show how a neck could have tuning issues fixed. Maybe people playing more rare instruments would be more likely to take on this service.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
@Reet, I have no idea how much that repair costs, but seeing that Yamaha V1 necks cost $300, I can see it as a possibility that this repair could cost less. (This video I assume is a G1 neck, which was the new neck at the time like the V1, which is why I am using as an example price)

Besides, the point of all of this is that the G1 neck we are discussing played badly out of tune. Not the player, not the horn, the neck. If I ever see a post about not being to play in tune, I make the same assumptions as you did, unless the G1 neck is involved.

As to music medic trying to get business, I think they were just trying to show how a neck could have tuning issues fixed. Maybe people playing more rare instruments would be more likely to take on this service.
Well, I would assume from watching the video that the total process from cutting and trimming the neck, play testing, soldering, polishing and re-lacquering would require quite a few hours work, and would be quite costly. $300 would seem quite reasonable for that kind of work. Anyway, with a little hunting around one can find more reasonable pricing for a new neck.

So, I did a little hunting and came up with a brand new neck that plays well on my YAS-62II but still not perfect! And I am really convinced that its operator error at this point. Fact is, I was convinced before I bought this neck and I am still working on my embouchure and making some progress.

Now, about this neck. I bought it on eBay after quite a bit of back and forth with the vendor and with a return guarantee I ordered it. And like I said, it plays well, however, it has no ID? I contacted Yamaha and had a bizarre conversation with a parts rep and went round and round that there was no part number on the neck and that's what my inquiry was about and all I wanted to know was it a genuine Yamaha neck or not. Anyway, they had no idea and now I really don't care because I'm satisfied with it. Anyway, for anyone interested, this is the neck and there's still some available for those looking for alternatives.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274329752804

·
Registered
419 Posts
I won't tell you how to solve it, but I'll share a short story in bullet point format.
- purchased a new 62II with G1 neck
- horn was great
- read that people were experiencing intonation concerns caused by the neck
- call Yamaha and they sent me a complimentary new neck
- side by side / both necks performed the same
- the Yamaha was donated because it did not compare to the Borgani that I foolishly lost
- years later, a church member indicated he had the same concerns that you are describing
- I put my mouthpiece/reed on his saxophone, checked it with a tuner, and it performed perfectly

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It seems impossible that any reputable music store would fail to notice such a simple problem, so I'm probably way off base. But is it possible you just need to adjust the neck cork so that the mouthpiece can be positioned correctly?

Yamaha has excellent quality control, and it would be very unusual for a 62 to be so messed up that the whole horn played flat, no matter what mouthpiece you used or how it was positioned. You really shouldn't need to buy a new neck to fix an intonation problem, ever.
I would also suggest you have your son's embouchure checked out with a qualified saxophone teacher. I have a YAS-62II and it's a beautiful in tune instrument.
I just want to add a +1 to these, particularly for anyone reading this in the future.

Allen Mouthpieces is correct that the intonation complaints almost always pertain the high range, on the altos (not tenors). IME players who have that problem are also a significant minority. I have it myself - my EX alto came with its original G1 neck, and I had issues with the high range. Iirc, it was flat on A2 (the note) and got sharper the higher I went.
I didn't like the way it played anyway so I chose to swap it out, but I also had been playing for about ten years and was by that point being paid to play. I don't know the skill level of OP's son of course, but a beginner isn't even developed enough to prefer one horn over another (assuming good maintenance), much less one neck over another. If the intonation issue I had appears, that is an exception, but it it will be obvious and localized.
The original owner of the horn had no issues, and the player who bought the neck from me had no issues and loved it.

If the neck cork on the OP's neck is a usable thickness - and I agree that for a store to miss that would blow my mind, but stranger things have happened - then something is wrong with that specific neck. Heck if I know what, but something.

The G1 is not a faulty design. There was no recall. Playing it is not going to give you cancersyphilaidsorrheabola. No other Yamaha neck plays quite like them and some people really enjoy them, and as with anything else, some don't.

... the C1 neck from Yamaha, which is the original Yamaha 62 neck.
Well then!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I hope the OP just purchased a new Yamaha neck such as a V1 or 62 instead of trying to find a Mark VII neck after reading these posts and being confused. If only there was a way for them to read people’s opinions and know what people had lot of experience with the topic...

If there actually is an issue, it can be solved by changing the neck. I hope their kid gets this resolved so they can continue to experience the joy of playing the saxophone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts