Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Totally regret selling my 61s. They felt really "agile" to me. That's a beautiful axe, OP. Love it. Hello from it’s younger sibling. 62ES. Still my most played alto by far. About 22 years old now. I’m pretty fussy about swabbing after every use, rinsing the neck and mouthpiece out, 3M silver strips and Wright’s silver polish when needed. :) View attachment 130367
22 years old?? Could've fooled me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That 61 looks factory fresh! They've always interested me; I know they're not in production but I've been on-and-off looking for some way to find myself a spare keyguard from one. Interestingly enough, they seem to be one of the only saxophone models not listed in any of Yamaha's parts databases like Yamaha24x7.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,587 Posts
Musical instrument Light Brass instrument Wind instrument Automotive lighting

Silver is a tough one to get a good picture in, especially with all that warm light.

·
Registered
Tenors Mark VI, SBA, T990, T880, YTS 62 stamped logo silver, SML Gold Medal, Bari: Yani B6
55 Posts
Yes - thumbhook is a Schucht thumbhook, Neck Screw is from Schagerl, Austria.

The sound really improved with the metal thumbhook. And I like its looks.

·
Registered
YSS62, YAS62, YTS62, YBS62, Sopranino
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Nice. I’ve never heard someone claim a thumb hook improves sound but nothing surprises me anymore. Not after I noticed a difference between a harness hook with and without the plastic protector.
I use the Ishimori ones as I find them incredibly comfortable.

·
Registered
Tenors Mark VI, SBA, T990, T880, YTS 62 stamped logo silver, SML Gold Medal, Bari: Yani B6
55 Posts
I didn't believe it either before - but I must say I do/did hear some difference - not that anybody else necessarily will, I guess. Behind the horn is not in front of the horn....
Of course Timo Schucht himself claims that there are differerences, otherwise why should he offer different versions :rolleyes: ....

Regardless if other people actually hear it or not, I like the hook as it fits my thumb very well and I like the looks better than the plastic hook.

And - btw - even Yamaha offer a metal "upgrade set" for their thumb hooks and thumb plate for the custom series....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,708 Posts
Love/hate the keyguard (😇) but this is an exceptional find. Never played such an early Yamaha. Congratulations.

PS: you’ll need a silver plated ligature. It looks shabby like this. 🤭

21 - 35 of 35 Posts