Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, this is my first post, and I'm very grateful for this forum for sax help.

So I've been playing sax for about 5 years now, and I'm getting very serious about playing, and digging deep into music and performance. About 2.5 years ago I purchased my first sax; the YAS-475. I have enjoyed it very much with my Berg Larson 95/0, and Java red 2.5 reeds, as I mainly enjoy modern jazz.

Recently, I've found a YAS-875 (original) in beautiful condition for a great price! I'm wondering if I should go and give it a play.

Now I've read that the 875 is more of a classical horn, And I'd want a horn that's good for modern music.

Can anyone help me with this? Is this a horn I should seriously look into? Will it be a dramatic upgrade from the 475, or could my current horn be suitable for life?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
the 875 is a lovely saxophone and a definite upgrade....one can also use these for ANY style not just classical....
i think the classical players love them for the tuning and brightness.....
that said,your 475 i think are great horns too,especially if MADE IN JAPAN as some are made elsewhere....
cheers,philip
Will it be a dramatic upgrade from the 475, or could my current horn be suitable for life?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, mine is made in Japan. It's great, but I don't know how much better the custom really is. I guess I'll just have to try it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
First a disclaimer...I am not a player (other than drums) but my daughter is a relatively accomplished high school saxophonist, and i love everything pertaining to saxes, and have been following this great site for a while now. My daughter has a Yamaha yas-61 and a Yamaha yas-575, which is not too dissimilar from your horn. What we have found is that she has very capable horns, and the best way to upgrade/experience new sounds is to experiment with different mouthpieces and reeds. I would recommend trying this route first..I think you may be surprised at the results. Your yas-475 is probably good enough to be your sax-for-life, unless you plan to study music in college, in which case you will feel the pressure to upgrade to something more expensive. Good luck in your journey!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'd recommend at least trying out the 875 to see if you like it, and if you feel that it's an upgrade from your 475. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain if you love the horn. However, try to remain objective and not get caught up in the mentality of "It's an 875, it MUST be better than my 475."

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Bot great horns. The 875 will have a thicker sound. Both Yamahas and both top machines.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I love the 475 but found the 875 to be heavy and dull. I know several pro players who feel this way, they like the 475 for its lightness and vibrancy. For the cost of an 875 I would look at as many other models as possible to be sure which one is right for you.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yes, go give it a play. Why not?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello,
test it and make your own mind.
If you get the feeling that the horn is YOUR horn - buy it.
Don't buy it just to have a "better" horn

BR
Juergen

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
If you want to stay with Yamaha don't limit yourself to just the 875. You should try the 62 and the 82z as well.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,677 Posts
I love the 475 but found the 875 to be heavy and dull. I know several pro players who feel this way, they like the 475 for its lightness and vibrancy. For the cost of an 875 I would look at as many other models as possible to be sure which one is right for you.
I agree with Jim. Recently, I got a chance to play an 875, an 82Z and a 475. Now the 475 was made in China, but among the three, it was most free-blowing (probably due to the direct posts on the body vs. the plates we see on the other two) and lightest (physical). For an intermediate horn, I think the 475 is well made, sounds great and has comfortable keywork, especially the right thumbrest.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is good advice. There's a local pro player here that uses a 475 as his main alto and says he prefers it to all others he's tried. Get the one that sounds best to you (do a blind test or A/B recording if you can).

·
Banned
577 Posts
Had a 475 and it was a great horn I just prefer a slightly more aggressive horn. I did try a recent 82Z that was really nice. I ended up with a TJ Raw XS alto and a Conn 6M alto.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,677 Posts
I should add that I also played the 475 next to my Mark VI, and in terms of sound and playing qualities, the 475 was not too far from the VI.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I should add that I also played the 475 next to my Mark VI, and in terms of sound and playing qualities, the 475 was not too far from the VI.
Really interesting opinión.
Sometimes we have miths in our minds that affect our perceptions. It is interesting to hear objective opinions direct experience based. Thank you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts