Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had two really crappy altos and am a little afraid of buying used. I really can't afford another clunker. I can buy a new Yas 475 for $1,937 with a 12 mo. interest free loan and $100 rebate. What do you guys think of that instrument? Should I hold out and buy a Yas 62? I'm an old geezer and have played or four years. My current sax is held together with rubber bands.

BTW, here's another question: what's the most number of rubber bands you've had on your sax (to replace broken springs)?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would stay away from the 475. If you can get a 52 for a good price, then go for it. I'm saving my $$$ for an 82Z!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Ya, the 475 line is kind of crappy. I've had several students rent/buy them from this store that is pushing them. They play rather out of tune (altos and tenors), and don't resonate very well. Heck, even one of my 7th grade students noticed it on her horn when switching from a no-name tenor she was using. She actually liked the other, non-yamaha better.

I'd save the money and look to getting a used 62 or something. Or perhaps even a Barone tenor?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts