Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month I'm going to start taking lessons and therefore I need a saxophone first. I narrowed down my choice between the YAS-275 (€1000) and YAS-475 (€1400). Which one should I get? I know the 475 is better since it's an intermediate but is it worth the extra €400? Or is there not such a big difference between the sound of these saxophones?

Also I hear Yamaha saxophones have quite a lot of leakage problems. Should I worry about this? I've found a way to check for this but it's a way too complicated procedure.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
The 275, is also known as a 23, which are built like tanks, maybe better than tanks. Anyhorn though if you take care of it, shouldn't give you much problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
musicmind said:
Hi

The YAS 275 and YAS 475 reviews on this page might help you

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Alto_sax_reviews.htm
Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my questions.

Also that's where I found the method for finding a leakage but I don't get half of it and it sounds very complicated.

The 275, is also known as a 23, which are built like tanks, maybe better than tanks. Anyhorn though if you take care of it, shouldn't give you much problem.
Thanks, I think I'll get that one since my budget's limited. Maybe I could rent one and save for a much better sax? Or is the 275 good enough for a few years?

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Basic method for finding leaks. Take your horn to the bathroom drop a small flashlight down the body of the horn, close the keys if their is a leak you will see it. Also make sure the door is closed.
Easist thing to do as a begginer is to take the horn to a tech, once you have identified leaks. Since a leak could be caused by a few things, it would be unwise to mess with it just starting out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
They are both good horns, and a 275 should last you for years.

If you already have an instructor lined up, why not give him/her a call and ask them to take you sax shopping?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My uncle plays the sax and knows someone who works in the local music store who knows how to play it too. I'll ask her for advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts