Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I've just joined SOTW. I'm not a sax player myself - guitarist I'm sorry to say - but my 12 year old is an enthusiastic jazzhead about to start alto sax.

I have a question. There's a 2nd hand yas-23 and a yas-32 available at similar prices on eBay. I gather from forums that the 32 is a better instrument. Is it in any way a harder instrument for a kid to play? Or does its being an intermediate instrument mean only that it's better and more expensive?

Thanks,

Jontiray

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
The YAS-32 is the European version of the YAS-52 model here in the U.S. It is an "intermediate" model that is a small step up from the YAS-23. The YAS-23 is Yamaha's earlier student model which has earned a stellar reputation over the years as a top choice for beginning players. My opinion would be to go for the YAS-23 and use the price difference to have a "play condition" done at a reputable shop. Then after a few years, if your student shows progress, step up to a sax with professional features. Just as important as the instrument is a good mouthpiece to start on. Just like the sax, the Yamaha 4C mouthpiece has been an industry standard. Other good entry level mouthpieces include the Fobes Debut and the Hite Premiere. Private lessons to build good playing fundamentals from the start is another part of the formula for a successful musical experience.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts