Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son, who seems to want to continue playing for a while is ready to step in horns. He currently has a student Keilworth. It's a decent horn, but it's time to move to the next level(s).

Price really isn't the issue, since if he doesn't continue to play, I'll just keep it for myself since I play the sax as well.

If I do get the 62, is there a big difference from the 62 and 62 with purple embossing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Umm... just out of curiousity, where does a YAS-23 come into this equation?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Any reason for picking an intermediat yam and a pro yam? What about other makes if your budget is so wide? If price is not issue, go try a pile and see what you like the feel of. Generally when I move up, I know what my current setup is missing, therefore I have a good idea of what to look for in a replacement.

Note, this doesn't just apply to a sax, but to anything from a computer to a girlfriend :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new setup will be for my son, not sure if he knows what his setup is missing .... yet! The reason for a pro style sax, is if he doesn't decide to stick with it, it then becomes mine! As my alto is a very old Zephyr II. Plays nice, but the action just isn't there. My tenor is an antique finish Selmer Reference 54, so I know the difference, but my budget isn't wide enough to stretch for either a Mark 6 and I don't know much about the series III other than that they are pretty expensive. So if I can get a horn in the 2k range that would be sweet. But I'm hearing that the 62 II isn't as full as the 62. Not like I can go to any local shop and play the two and see what "we" like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I suppose a YAS23 can be all things to all folks, but in my opinion, the 23 is a student-level instrument. Yes, they play pretty good but every one I've tried was extremely bright. The YAS62 seems to be more of an intermediate-level instrument, and yes, I realize that those terms (student and intermediate) may be difficult to define. The 62's I've played were not what I'd spend money on although I know others like them.

When I selected an alto for my grandson a few years ago, I sat down with several brands of new altos and tested a bunch. I passed on the 62 because it didn't play as well as the store-branded alto I eventually bought. After a few years I'm still satisfied with the selection, as is my grandson.

There are many brands out there that you should consider, but some has to do with where you buy it - and HOW you buy it. At retail, where you can test it, or Internet/mail-order, where you don't play it until it arrives on your door step? DAVE

·
14,268 Posts
We cross-posted and I missed your latest reply. When I was testing the altos, I also tried a Serie III. I gave it one run up the horn and handed it back . . . way too bright for my tastes. At $2K, there may be some good choices (like Antigua, Unison, used Yamaha Z, used Yanagisawa 901, used Serie II, many, many choices).

You don't say where you live. If in the U.S., you may want to inquire at Kessler's in Las Vegas, WW&BW, USAHorn, etc. When buying "blind" a lot depends on the seller and the way they set up and ship their instruments. DAVE

·
Registered
307 Posts
The new setup will be for my son, not sure if he knows what his setup is missing .... yet!
Then why do you think he's ready to upgrade?

Take a look at the new BW M2's. Well within your budget and getting excelent reviews from Pete Thomas and Stephen Howard.

Personally I don't take too much notice of what I'm hearing on the grapevine, I'm more interested in what I'm hearing with me ears. There's plenty of soundclips on the net, not as good as going in person, but if it's your only option.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Why not a used S-II ? The real all-rounder, and it won't lose much value.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the super action series II, but it seems that a decent one always sells in the 2500 - 3000 range, and they seem to be a bit old for that? Anyone have a good lead on a decent one. Oh and I live near Fort Worth, about half hour away. Not sure if the music shops have a large selection but I'll definitely find out.

·
6,715 Posts
I'm more interested in what I'm hearing with me ears. There's plenty of soundclips on the net, not as good as going in person, but if it's your only option.
At the same time being aware that the player has a large influence on the sound.
I would suggest that your son tries several & chooses what sounds best in his hands.
I used to own a 62 tenor but it sounded so bland....at least when I played it. :cry:

·
Registered
307 Posts
At the same time being aware that the player has a large influence on the sound.
Yup, agree 100%. Personally I would be reluctant to buy a pro sax I hadn't personally tried, the exact one, not just the same make/model, but the op seemed to suggest that this wasn't an option for him.

tbh I really hope he's not buying it for his son as a 'surprise', I can't think of a worse way to buy a pro level sax tbh. I'd want to go to a shop and try out every model they have in the store, well, ok if I went somewhere decent like sax.co.uk in London maybe there aren't enough hours in the the day to try them all, but I'd want to try a good selection to see how they responded to my hands and mouthpiece.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I completely understand what you guys are saying, I know that different reeds, mouthpieces and horns will be completely different for every player. But the fact is, a good horn is a good horn. He and I both have played his horn, and it's adequate, but as I've stated before, I'm moving him up to the next level on horns as I believe he's reached his highest potential with his current horn. I will see about taking him to a music store with a large selection, but the fact is, we'll both play all the horns and it won't be a decision made solely by him. He will of course have input, but if it's between two horns I'm sure I'll have a large influence on which one he ends up with.

·
Registered
307 Posts
...I believe he's reached his highest potential with his current horn...
You say that, then above you say he doesn't know what his current horn is missing. I guess this is what I'm getting at. For instance my current horn, I know everything about it, I know it's strengths and its weaknesses. I know what I can do with it and what I can't. So if the style I wanted to play didn't gel with the horn then I'd know that, and I'd know what I needed in a replacement, and that level of 'knowing' would be beyond just a statement that I wanted a 'better' horn, or a 'pro' horn.

Two examples,

1. A friend has a jupiter. I've played it and I know that I would not be satisfied with it. I list several distinct items. The ergonomics do not suit my hands. The sound lacks projection compared with my horn and a few other items.

2. My teacher has a yani. The ergonomics on that are better than on my horn. If I wanted to play bebop, then that horn would suit me. The sound however is not what I'm after.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, since you put it that way, looking for the best ergonomics, and hopefully much better tone quality. I consider the tone on this horn on the dull side. Looking for something with a medium tone, not too bright. Which is partly why I would consider a yas-62 and not the 62II. I probably should have stated that in the beginning. Not looking for a horn with a full sound.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Now, that's more like it :)

...however, we now seem to be moving more and more into what YOU want, yet at the start you said you were looking for a new horn for your son?

Nothing wrong with that, but buying a pro level horn is kinda personal. You get what he want's, or you get what you want. Maybe they're the same, but not that likely tbh.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the horn will be for him, but like I said previously, I'm not going to let him pick a piece of junk out. If it comes down to a few horns I'll lead him in the right direction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts