Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
so is there a mouthpeice that is perfect for the sound of a yas 23 to make it sound jazzy?
You don't get specific mouthpieces that are best with a specific saxophone. Some people might argue with that, it's just my opinion. In some cases it's important to match a mouthpiece to a horn but this is mainly relevant in regard to vintage saxophones and modern mouthpieces which can have intonation issues on older saxophones.

If you are a beginner (which I presume you are based on the question, please forgive me if not), then the best mouthpiece would be something very standard anyway, such as a Yamaha 3c or 4C. The jazzyness as Buck has so articulately poined out, comes from the player.

Various mouthpiece will allow a brighter, warmer, edgier or darker sound, none of which are particularly specific to jazz in general, though some subgenres or personal tastes may tend towards a particular tone quality.

However the "jazzy sound" comes from the player, e.g. articulation, vibrato, dynamics and sometimes effects.

I have an exercise which puts some of these together into one exercise which you might find useful for helping to shape your tone:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-tone-control.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i was told that there was and no im not a beginner i just was wondering if anyone thought the same. If there is a mouthepiece that does give a more edgy sound to a sax please tell me?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,585 Posts
You're not a beginner? Really? How about using a little punctuation and a couple more upper case letters in your posts.
You may be taken a little more seriously.

As for "Jazz" mouthpieces....
Many manufacturers use terminology to get young players think that they need a 'jazz' mouthpiece in order to play 'jazz' music.
It's pretty much all BS and hype.
If you can't play 'jazz' on your Yamaha 4C then a Meyer, Dukoff, Link...'Honkin' Saxenstein' mouthpiece isn't going to help much.
No "Magic Bullet", no "Chops in a Box".
Jazz is an attitude. Until you've learned to play "in the style of" a new JAZZ mouthpiece isn't going to make much difference.

Don't believe what I've said?
Do a little research on the "Jazz Greats of Yesteryear" and see what mouthpieces they were playing on.
I'd almost bet $100 that nearly every one used a mouthpiece that you would consider 'CLASSICAL'.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
this as a lot to do about what you think of your yamaha sound, and the how you want to sound to (your sound 'goal')...and then they to find the mouthpiece that will make that goal easier...

of course there are mpc more edgier than other. You just need to mess around with some and talk with some refacers too..

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've played a 23 for years, the only horns I've owned for long periods. I have a Meyer 5j, but it's not doing it for me. Get a solid mouthpiece, a Yamaha 4c, maybe Selmer s80 C*. I use an s80 on mine, and it can lay down some really nice jazz. Same setup I started on in sixth grade. Like it's been said before, it's not the mouthpiece that plays jazz, it's the player. My advice is, as long as your mouthpiece and horn is functioning: practice, practice, practice. Eat, sleep, practice, repeat.

·
30,102 Posts

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
You're not a beginner? Really? How about using a little punctuation and a couple more upper case letters in your posts.
You may be taken a little more seriously.
We don't use snail mail and perfect cursive handwriting to communicate anymore like you did back in 1863. Someone ought to introduce you to texting. It's kewl!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Correct grammar and punctuation never go out of date my friend. And, it may not be kewl to everyone.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Correct grammar and punctuation never go out of date my friend. And, it may not be kewl to everyone.
Do you know if his native language is english? i think you didn't even thought about that hypothesis your presumptuous...................

·
30,102 Posts
Do you know if his native language is english?

your presumptuous...................
Ah, but do you know it's "his" rather than "her"?

All kinds of presumptions are being made in this thread, e.g. mine that this is a beginner's question, then there's whoever told the OP that there are specific mouthpieces for a YAS23, and the OP's apparent presumption that jazzy = edgy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,440 Posts
yas23D: I'm from the write clearly, concisely, and correctly school of thought - we are not texting here. But, to mouthpieces and the YAS23 alto saxophone . . . I've found every 23 that I've played to be exceptionally bright, but decent saxophones for the price. So, I would select a mouthpiece that is warmer and less-bright to deal with the natural "edginess" that is the YAS23.

What would that piece be? Only you can make that choice because we all achieve different sounds and results from mouthpieces. I have mature saxophone chops and I prefer a Selmer S-80 C* (with a synthetic reed) or a Don Sinta (no model designation) with a #2 ZZ reed, or a Meyer 6S-Medium Chamber with a ZZ #2 reed, but that's just me. I use those pieces on all of my altos and they work just fine for me. I'll bet that if I put one of those on your 23, they would work well with it.

You can also change your sound by changing reeds. At today's prices, it won't be cheap - you'll need to buy full boxes to adequately evaluate a brand, strength, and cut (mainly because cane reeds are natural products and vary widely even among similar reeds), but in the end, it will be worth the price and time. A different reed can put some edginess in your sound (or vice versa). DAVE

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
yas23D: I'm from the write clearly, concisely, and correctly school of thought - we are not texting here. But, to mouthpieces and the YAS23 alto saxophone . . . I've found every 23 that I've played to be exceptionally bright, but decent saxophones for the price. So, I would select a mouthpiece that is warmer and less-bright to deal with the natural "edginess" that is the YAS23.

What would that piece be? Only you can make that choice because we all achieve different sounds and results from mouthpieces. I have mature saxophone chops and I prefer a Selmer S-80 C* (with a synthetic reed) or a Don Sinta (no model designation) with a #2 ZZ reed, or a Meyer 6S-Medium Chamber with a ZZ #2 reed, but that's just me. I use those pieces on all of my altos and they work just fine for me. I'll bet that if I put one of those on your 23, they would work well with it.

You can also change your sound by changing reeds. At today's prices, it won't be cheap - you'll need to buy full boxes to adequately evaluate a brand, strength, and cut (mainly because cane reeds are natural products and vary widely even among similar reeds), but in the end, it will be worth the price and time. A different reed can put some edginess in your sound (or vice versa). DAVE
I agree with you on thins one. The excessively brightness of the yamies will be, probably, a huge concern to you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,289 Posts
Back to the subject.....If you want to experiment with mouthpieces to get a bit more edge, try a Rico Graftonite in about a B5 facing with a bit softer reed and you may get some good results. Amazon usually has them for under $20 shipped.

As far as grammar errors, I find the worst to be those posting from the US!

·
Banned
159 Posts
yas23D asked: "so is there a mouthpeice that is perfect for the sound of a yas 23 to make it sound jazzy?"

Seems like a simple question...even for a newb like me. How about a Morgan Protone? Or the Rico just mentioned?

Regarding some of the "sage" advice that followed the OP's request for suggestions one must wonder why a poster asking for jazzy mpc suggestions for a YAS 23 gets spelling, grammar, and punctuation criticism??? Is the OP really such a lesser player because he/she can't get a jazzy sound out of a toy sax à la Charlie Parker??? ***?.

It's no wonder Nefertiti ponders whether SOTW is bad or evil in his "Is SOTW really that bad?" thread.

FWIW, I'd much rather be considered fine wine as I age...than be referred to as vinegar.

Have a nice day!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.