Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the lack of 'expertise', my daughter plays, not me. Please bear with me if the terminology is a bit off.

I decided to purchase an upgrade for my 16 sax playing daughter. I bouhgt her a used Bundy-II when she first started nearly 6 years ago.
I had heard that the YAS-23 was a very good student-intermediate sax, and there was one for a good price from a private party.
I took her to 'test' it, I wanted to make sure it played better than the Bundy-II.
Silly, right?
Anyway, I ended up buying it.
When she went to next lesson her teacher looked it over, like it for the most part, but there were leaks in the sound holes in the bell....along with some pads (cork) missing from under a key.
So, once home, looking at the leak on the 2 holes on the bell, they're huge. I can't see how new pads can fix these.
Looking online I found a site that speaks about the bell having the glue break and the bell rotate (or something to that effect) on the YAS-275.
Is this something that is common on the YAS-23?
I hate to sell this sax to someone else, but I can't see spending a lot to fix it either.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Take it for an estimate before making a decision. See what the problem is.

It can be a few things... bent key cups bent bell... either way find out before you spend more cash on another sax. The repairs should not be too much. Was the damage there when you purchased the sax? Was it play tested by the seller? Sounds like you will probably have a hard time convincing the seller there are issues on the sax and that they were there before you bought it.

These are good saxophones, play well and are quite sturdy. How much did you pay? I have purchased a few of these horns online for Sax-o-Thon and I generally pay 250 to 350 and ave received saxophones in pretty good playing and cosmetic condition. In general they sell for 300 to 500 depending on my items.

Can you supply online pics of the damaged area?

Good luck
HUTMO

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HUTMO,

I paid $325 for the sax. Looking at classifieds locally, these have been going for around $600.
The seller did not play the sax. Even if he had I probably wouldn't have known what to listen for.
And if he knew about the issue probably would have played around them.
What was important to me was that my daughter thought, if it was better than the Bundy II.

Visually I don't see anything wrong with the bell or cups......it just seems like if the bell was rotated just a bit everything would fall into place (as far as the pads laying flat on the holes.

I will try to get some images soon.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If it's within your budget, you might just wanna buy a totally new sax. How serious is your daughter about playing? You could find a nice, used YAS 475 for a good price if you're looking for a nice intermediate horn that won't cost a ton.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Very unlikely to be a rotated bell, the keys are much mor prone to cause seating issues. It may be missing corks (not pads) or a slightly bent mechanism, either way providing there isn't major wear in the hinges and linkages or the pads are stuffed you should get a playing horn for a few dollars only.

Just get it to e reputable tech and don't attempt a repair yourself

1 - 6 of 6 Posts