Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Im a newbie playing alto sax, and have a couple of standard student horns at home that me and my dughter play on. Ive just noticed recently a spate of yas 21's being sold on ebay. Does anyone have any details on these units. Are they good bad known problems made in what year ect ect.
Any help would be appreciated as I am thinking of purchasing one
Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
What "student" horns do you currently own? if it were a Vito made in Japan, chances are, you are already playing on a Yamaha.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,450 Posts
They are Yamaha's baseline saxophone - the predecessor to the YAS-23. Like the 23's, the 21's are excellent. As the 21 is older, you will want some assurance the mechanics are sound - or the wherewithall to ahve any issues addressed.

·
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, the horns I have at the moment are just chinese cheapies so Ive found out, they still cost me 900 aust each through the local music shop. The only reason I was looking at these is my sax teacher said yamahas are a good solid instrument to learn on, that being said she said my sax sounds nice and plays in tune as well , and i had no idea on the yas 21's. Eg how old are they are parts still available. I notice the sales say no warranty implied, appears good, as is ect,
So tempted to get one and see. I just remeber sonmeone saying that some yamahas were easily damaged.
Steev

·
Registered
575 Posts
YAS21 is an excellent horn

I have a YAS21, YAS61 and a YAS 875EX. I would feel comfortable using any of them on a gig!!! The YAS21 is a solid horn, well built, easy to adjust and maintain. It has good intonation and is capable of producing an excellent sound.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,450 Posts
While there are some common parts between YAS-21 and YAS-23, there are some different ones, too. If your concern is repairability, I'd recommend going with the YAS-23 as they are more readily available and most reputable techs would be familiar with them. Not to say all YAS-23's ever made are completely interchangeable, either.

I don't think Yamahas are easier to damage than any other horn - and there are easier horns to damage. I will not list them at the risk of the thread being hijacked.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
YAS-21 saxes were around from the early '70s until the early '80s when the YAS-23 replaced it - but as far as pads go, they use the same thickness pads that will fit other Yamaha saxes, and possibly the same diameters as the 23 so you needn't worry about that. Any tech that knows what they're doing can sort anything out on these.

But as with all Yamahas, they're well built and easy to work on.

·
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replys guys, I went ahead and bought one, so itll be here in Australia in a couple of weeks, so Ill see what I can do with it then. The seller said its in good condition and appears looked after, but I wont know that until it gets here. Like I said I have two alto units here but there just chinese units that go by the name "Soundz", I still paid good money for them however. My sax teacher saids they sound pretty nice and have a good range of sound, but she also said the difference between a good sax and a cheap sax is usely the assembly of the item and crappy mouthpieces, she believes there all pretty much made in japan and china nowadays under license anyway I decided to get a yamaha simply because all Ive ever heard is that you cannot go wrong learning on one of these, so thats the whole reason behind purchasing it. Does anyone recommend any tests that I can run the unit through to see obvious problems. I know about the torchlight down in the bell area with the lights out and look for light leaks when fingering the keys ect, any others that people can recommend. We dont have as big of a following here in australia for these instruments as you guys do overseas. There is one service shop that I know of here and thats 4600kms away from where I live , so as you can imagine thats no good
Thanks
Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts