181 - 186 of 186 Posts

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
And sax gismo-worship is a religion.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
In terms of experimental setup: in my eyes, having 4 players doing short series didn't strengthen the experiment. I'd actually agree with andre251 on that.

(Thanks for the acknowledgement! People want to act like I am a troll but I am absolutely not) -Andre

If the total number of takes (16) or a similarly large number would have been done by a single player (seasoned professional, world-class pro, etc.) in a double-blind experiment AND that player would have been able to reliably differentiate whether the gadget under test (mass screw, Klangbogen, leFreque, resonance stone, etc.) was on/off, then I would eat my hat!
I have done the above experiment. I did it 20 takes in fact. Do you know what the result was? I was told it would not count and that I would have to do it at least fifty times to prove anything. The scientists told me that 20 was not enough even though the odds were comparable to winning he powerball.
That, ladies and gentleman, is why I now call them "scientists". When presented with a reasonable experiment, I was told my experimental method was not good enough.
I hired a clown, (seriously) and taught them how to put on the Klangbogen. I showed them how to make it impossible to tell whether they had put it on or not. I put on a sleeping mask over a t shirt so I could absolutely not see anything.
Then I had them flip a coin and show the coin. If it was heads, they actually put it on. Tails they did not but made it appear they did. I recorded the training and they recorded the test. I did this experiment three times and got 19/20, 18/20, and then 20/20. After reporting back to the forum that I did it, the scientists claimed the experiment was not good enough. I literally did it the last day before a two week vacation and the current show was closing. I was in a small room that was a little noisy with lots of people moving around outside. I still did the experiment. I never released it because apparently a coin flip was not good enough. The clown who helped me was let go at the circus and I later actually lost the video as well as many other old videos and photos on my wedding day. (I had crazy phone problems that day!)
Long story short, many of the people on this forum who claim to follow scientific truth should be eating their hats.

My posts, thus story of my experiment, and my history with this topic should make it clear why I refer to people as "scientists" as well as tease the need for a triple blind giant steps robot study.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have done the above experiment. I did it 20 takes in fact. Do you know what the result was? I was told it would not count and that I would have to do it at least fifty times to prove anything. The scientists told me that 20 was not enough even though the odds were comparable to winning he powerball.
That, ladies and gentleman, is why I now call them "scientists". When presented with a reasonable experiment, I was told my experimental method was not good enough.
I hired a clown, (seriously) and taught them how to put on the Klangbogen. I showed them how to make it impossible to tell whether they had put it on or not. I put on a sleeping mask over a t shirt so I could absolutely not see anything.
Then I had them flip a coin and show the coin. If it was heads, they actually put it on. Tails they did not but made it appear they did. I recorded the training and they recorded the test. I did this experiment three times and got 19/20, 18/20, and then 20/20. After reporting back to the forum that I did it, the scientists claimed the experiment was not good enough. I literally did it the last day before a two week vacation and the current show was closing. I was in a small room that was a little noisy with lots of people moving around outside. I still did the experiment. I never released it because apparently a coin flip was not good enough. The clown who helped me was let go at the circus and I later actually lost the video as well as many other old videos and photos on my wedding day. (I had crazy phone problems that day!)
Long story short, many of the people on this forum who claim to follow scientific truth should be eating their hats.

My posts, thus story of my experiment, and my history with this topic should make it clear why I refer to people as "scientists" as well as tease the need for a triple blind giant steps robot study.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Man I almost hate to get in a thread like this, but here it goes. First off I am not an engineer or a physicist and don’t claim to be. I also do not have strong opinions on any high mass products one way or the other. I do have a high mass screw on my tenor (and from the dreaded Steve Goodson none the less) because I was curious and I like the idea of a bigger easier to turn screw. My question (and I am asking this as a legitimate question) is could the differences that people claim to hear in their own sound not be from placebo effect but from the tactile response they are getting from the horn being different by the resonance being changed? Once again I am not claiming that a larger screw or a chunk of metal or a different finish can even effect the resonance that much. I am merely asking though that if the resonance is improved could it not change the way we perceive our sound based on the tactile response we are getting? I know that what we can hear and perceive can be changed by the vibrations we feel, could this explain the high mass phenomenon?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,002 Posts
Andre,

You have presented no actual evidence? Just a cute story?
Not so much as a list of all of the trials with their outcomes?

How is this supposed to be of value to the objective listener?

From the Dept. of Physics

181 - 186 of 186 Posts