Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the deal. D1 on my TWO1 is about 25 cents flat on the tuner. The overtone (D2 played w/o the octave key) is in tune. D2 fingered with the octave is in tune. When I add the C# key to D1 the tone goes to crap, but it is in tune. I suspect that I need to open the C key to vent it better by adjusting the felt bumper. Any other opinions or advice for DIY on this? Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,799 Posts
I think you made a typo - you don't adjust the D key which is closed - you adjust the C key but be aware that this will also affect D1 and probably E.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,999 Posts
What if you loosen up your embouchure and play D1 in tune by pushing in your mouthpiece? The rest might just fall in line.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you made a typo - you don't adjust the D key which is closed - you adjust the C key but be aware that this will also affect D1 and probably E.
Yes. Corrected.

Affecting D1 is what I’m going for.:)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What if you loosen up your embouchure and play D1 in tune by pushing in your mouthpiece? The rest might just fall in line.
There isn’t a lot left to push in. The rest of the range is in pretty good tune. Just this one note. E1, Eb1, etc are good.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
This is what I find. I push in pretty far (on alto, all the way in), and then relax into tune. It's at least worth a try.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
It should have been setup properly to match the tuning when you received it. But if not, you can dial it in by adjusting the low C key height like people have mentioned. Doesn’t sound like there is a tuning issue, more of a minor setup issue.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It should have been setup properly to match the tuning when you received it. But if not, you can dial it in by adjusting the low C key height like people have mentioned. Doesn’t sound like there is a tuning issue, more of a minor setup issue.
Indeed. I adjusted the C key by backing out the felt bumper and it helped. I think I may need to adjust the size of the felt itself, as it is fairly large (long), which will allow adequate adjustment.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Usually you need to adjust the height so that low D is in tune (or flat if you like to use low C# to raise the pitch)
So you can decide how sharp middle D will get, like a balancing act.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts