Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new Yani soprano. I've played the SWO1 and really like the tone and response. I have not had the opportunity to play the SWO10 but I'm wondering if the $700 additional cost is worth it considering that the only two additional features are the two necks (with a little more weight) and the G3 key. Has anyone tried both and convinced that the move to the SWO10 is worth the additional cost?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I used to own an S992 (bronze) and an S901 (brass) at the same time, which are the previous models of the newer SWO1 and the SW010 (except of course that the 992 was bronze and the 991 was brass - an almost insignificant difference). Mine were similar in playability and tone to each other. If one was blindfolded, I doubt if one would be able to tell the difference between them.

I can't imagine that Yanagisawa made changes significant enough to change overall playability and tone in their latest models. So, in my view, it comes down to the removable necks and the hi-G keying. $700 is a lot of money for very little difference, unless one really needs the curved-neck feature. I don't, preferring straight necks. DAVE

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,245 Posts
Good question. Not sure how different the sopranos are.

The altos and tenors are quite different.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
For soprano I would imagine the biggest difference is whether you prefer the curved neck or the straight neck. I think part of the neck thing on soprano is that the W01, non detachable straight neck, is a more perfect cone. Where as being able to detach the neck makes a cylinder where the neck receiver is. So you should be thinking more along the lines of straight versus curved neck. The amount of resistance changes for these as well. I can’t comment on the usefulness of a high G on soprano. I don’t know how important that is for soprano rep.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback. Since I don't need the curved neck I'll be going with the SWO1 especially given the advantage of the attached neck.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Good question. Not sure how different the sopranos are.

The altos and tenors are quite different.
are you talking about differences between the 992 v 901 in alto and tenor? or the difference in the old vs new Yani model? Just curious I have a 992 and 9937 tenor

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulled the trigger on the SWO1 which should be here next week. Based on the sopranos I've tried over the last year this is a great choice for the sound and response I'm looking for but also the price.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!! It will be here on Friday so I'm excited. I still have my Yani stenciled Vito to play until then. It will also be fun to compare the older S6 style soprano verses the latest design.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks!! It will be here on Friday so I'm excited. I still have my Yani stenciled Vito to play until then. It will also be fun to compare the older S6 style soprano verses the latest design.
That brings up an interesting comparison. The S6 and your Vito are direct progenitors of the sax you are getting, S6>S800>S900>S901>SW01. My understanding is that Yanagisawa never scrapped their original S6 design. They only tweaked each iteration. That is not to say that your new SW01 wo
n’t be a very different and different playing instrument, but it would be interesting to seek the similarities as well as the differences.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fortunately I still have the Vito/S6 so I don't intend to sell that just yet until I have the SWO1. Will be an interesting comparison which may mean I keep both.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The SWO1 arrived and wow!!! Very fat and resonate sound that response great across the entire range of the horn. The keywork is also very comfortable and feels very natural. My music critic (wife) loves the sound which is a bonus since I had to convince her that I needed yet another saxophone :) I'll be keeping the Vito around for a little bit to compare but it will likely go up for sale after I have the somewhat tatty neck cork replaced by my local tech.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Nice . . . I hope it remains your favorite. In the meantime, I recommend against selling your Vito/S-6. First of all, it is nice to have a back-up. Also, it is nice to have another horn for reference, comparisons, etc. From whom did you buy it? DAVE

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Dave. I bought the Vito from a fellow band member that bought it years ago and never really played. Other than a few micro-scratches it's in great shape including the pads and corks. Still a very nice soprano in the MkVI style. Maybe I'll sell it and pick up a vintage Buescher at some point. For now I don't need the $$ so I'll keep it around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts