Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made possible by the use of trial periods, I was able to compare these 3 Yani straight sopranos.

In another thread I inquired if anyone knew the differences between the 981 and the 991, since I had found a new 981 for considerably less money.

And the result is....
The 981 and 991 are identical in all observable aspects (length, weight, lacquer color, key configuration, engraving, etc). The only difference is that the 981 does not have a high G key. It does have the post on rib construction. The only thing I didn't like is that the high f# key is big and pearled, looks like another g# key, instead of the small all metal key that is usually used. This is just personal preference, and will be easy to adapt to.

The 992 is heavier and prettier.

But....

they all sounded very similar to me. They were each slightly different, which is to be expected, but the 992 did not sound noticeably different than the others.

The setup for testing was a Vandoren SL3, Vandoren Traditional 3 reed, and and FL silver ligature.

Just one person's experience, but I posted for the curious, and to hopefully save you some $$$.

Btw, the new 981's are available from Prowinds. (and the 992 is $900 more!)

·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess that I would add a recommendation. After playing several sopranos over the last year, including the Selmer Series III, Yani 981/991/992, Keilwerth SX 90 (and II), Rampone, Cannonball, P Mauriat; I think the Yani was the easiest horn to play, and had the best scale.

Ease of playing is an important factor to me, since I do not play that much, and play soprano the least of all.

If this is a consideration for you, I would suggest trying the Yanis.

·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, and the SX 90 probably needs to get sold....

·
Registered
Soprano: 1983 Keilwerth Toneking Schenklaars stencil
929 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts