Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered one.
What is your opinion and experience of this horn?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hello Marc. I'm an advocate for Yani sopranos and feel they are the best in the world. Superior tone, intonation, keywork & mechanics. The S902 is their one-piece design and their one-piece design is still my personal preference over their two-neck design. The sound of the bronze is slightly darker than the S901 and is a rich sounding soprano, very similar. I'm personally playing an S901 with a Selmer Super Session "I" mouthpiece and simply feel it's the best soprano I've owned in 30 years. And I've owned a SIII, an 875, 62R and a 991. I keep coming back to the 901.

Enjoy, you made a great choice and it will be the last soprano you ever need. Congratulations on your new horn!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well,
I received the baby this week fron "Matthew music" in The Netherlands.
First of all, let me state here how nice the owner of this shop is!
Real expert and top quality service and shipping.

Now about the S902 ...
I played in the past an Antigua 590LQ and a Canonball curved Big Bell.

No real surprise, the good reputation of Yani soprano did not happen overnight, this soprano is a pure marvel in terms of ergonomics and mechanics.
In addition, the tone is warm, solid and very interesting.
Lat point, extremely impressive for me, this soprano plays in perfect tune through the complete range, without requiring any compensation. I have never played any sax which is so consistent throughout the whole range.

So, a delight. Now, time for practice.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for completion and following some advices on this forum, I tried several mouthpieces on the 902 and the Selmer super session (I for me) is the perfect match.

·
Registered
12 Posts
can't deside.

marc, I've been thinking about getting a 590LQ now and maybe in a couple of years get a S902 or a S992. I need to know if I should just wait and get the Yanagisawa. Can you compare the 590LQ and the S902 in as many factors as you can. What is your opinion on which one I should get? Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Straighthorn: I know I'm not Marc, but here's MY answer - get the Yanagisawa and as soon as you can. Don't wait!! DAVE

·
Registered
156 Posts
Super Session I

I recently started using an SS I on my 901. What kind and strength reeds are working on this setup for you guys?

·
4,544 Posts
I use RJS 3 filed on my SS I on an S990

·
14,268 Posts
Larrys: I play SS-J on two of my sops ('28 TT and an SC902) and a Morgan Vintage 7 on an S992, with the SS-J as a back-up. I use Java #2 but shave them down. DAVE

·
Registered
156 Posts
Reeds

Dave and Shmuel... Thanks guys. I'm much more of a tenor player and know what works for me but soprano's a different animal - 2.5 RJS seems to work when I find a good one.

I'm having more fun playing sop than I thought I would. Last night our band read through Gordon Goodwin's Hunting Wabbits. I couldn't play it very well but it made me laugh the entire time..

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Straighthorn : as Dave suggests, go for the Yani 901 or 902, you won't regret it and you will have a horn that will keep its value.

@ Larrys : I am using RJS 3S and/or Rico Royal 21/2

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've got the S902 and love it! I was all set to purchase the S901 from Dave Kessler....but, Dave suggested trying the S902 while I was there. I tried my best not to like it better than the S901 as it was $500 more but...I was sold....just preferred the darker, richer sound. You can't go wrong with it...I'm sure you'll get much enjoyment out of it. I'm using a Metal Yani #9 piece w/Hemke #2 1/2 reed.

·
14,268 Posts
Perry: For what it is worth, about two weeks ago I played Tom Mayho's S901 (recently purchased from Kessler's) alongside my S992 at my regular gig. I heard no differences between the two horns (lacquered brass vs. bronze). Both were superb players. DAVE

·
1,423 Posts
I'll chime in and agree with Dave-I played a s991 and s992 side by side for a couple of weeks and noticed no real difference, except the 992 is more interesting to look at.

·
Registered
149 Posts
straighthorn said:
marc, I've been thinking about getting a 590LQ now and maybe in a couple of years get a S902 or a S992. I need to know if I should just wait and get the Yanagisawa. Can you compare the 590LQ and the S902 in as many factors as you can. What is your opinion on which one I should get? Thanks.
I would get a Yana now if at all possible. If not, an Antigua is a very viable option, and one I once chose.

An Antigua Winds may well be worth what they go for, but it is not a Yana. I would say the greatest differences can be found in the quality of construction, with the Yana having significantly higher quality. This is visible in the stiffness of the rods etc. The Antiguas do sound nice though, and I thought it was a nice playing horn. The Yana does have a more solid feel to it though, at least as far as I can recall the Antigua feeling.

I once had an Antigua Winds 586BC and now have a Yana S901, which right now I feel is going to be a horn for life. If finances are an issue, I would look on ebay for a Yana. You can find some stuff at great prices. That's where I got the S901, in like new condition. Still it will most likely cost you $500 to $600 more than a new Antigua. You could also look on ebay for an Antigua. I see them going for some great prices. I was lucky, I sold mine for close to what I paid for it new, but that may not happen to you.

If finances are an issue you may also want to consider an S901 instead of an S902. If you were to get the S902 from saxforte.com right now it would cost you $2,649. The S901 from the same place would cost you $2,149. Is the S902 worth the extra $500? I have no idea, but I have a feeling not to me. I live in a rural area and do not have the luxury of being able to make such comparisons in person, so I go by what the people say here who say there is not that much if any difference in sound. I am happy with my S901 though, and do not have much motivation to see what an S902 sounds like.

Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dave, rdf2....I wish that were the case for me as it would have saved me an extra $500 but, I could tell the difference. The S901 sounded great. However, I was able to get a nicer sound on the S902. Now, it just may have been that particular S901 and S902...who knows? But it was noticable enough and worth it enough for me to shell out the extra $500. Maybe I should have tried a different S901?

·
1,423 Posts
Perry Cobb said:
Dave, rdf2....I wish that were the case for me as it would have saved me an extra $500 but, I could tell the difference. The S901 sounded great. However, I was able to get a nicer sound on the S902. Now, it just may have been that particular S901 and S902...who knows? But it was noticable enough and worth it enough for me to shell out the extra $500. Maybe I should have tried a different S901?
Who knows?-I don't have enough knowledge or experience to answer that-my experience was a "sample of one", certainly not definitive. But to quote you, you have a "nicer than great" sound on the 902. Be happy and play it.

We have all this angst because there are too many choices, I think.

·
14,268 Posts
I suspect the differences you experienced were within the normal range of differences expected among many saxophones. But I agree with rdf2 when he says it doesn't matter now. You have a great soprano and you like it . . . 'nuff said.

Still for all the others who are reading these threads and are in the decision-stage, my advice would be to go for the best player regardless of the horn's finish or body material. If buying blind (an Internet deal or mail-order purchase), an S901 should fill the needs of the majority of buyers. DAVE

1 - 20 of 25 Posts