Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the other posts to check if this has been addressed before, but couldn't find anything (though I'm sure someone will put me right).

Anyway can anyone tell me if a Yanagisawa Bari neck will fit a Selmer Mark VI Bari, any problems with intonation, projection etc?

I can get the Yani neck for half the price of a SA80.

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Matthew Taylor said:
I checked the other posts to check if this has been addressed before, but couldn't find anything (though I'm sure someone will put me right).

Anyway can anyone tell me if a Yanagisawa Bari neck will fit a Selmer Mark VI Bari, any problems with intonation, projection etc?

Thanks Matt
Just to follow up the last post, as there hasn't been an answer, can anyone tell me the tenon length and diameter measurements for the Yanagisawa and/or Selmer baritone necks?

Thanks Matt

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,994 Posts
Matthew Taylor said:

The price doesn't really matter if neither of them work. Do you know that a SA80 neck will work well on the Mk VI?

Why have you settled on the Yanagisawa for a substitute? Once you accept using a substitute/aftermarket neck, there are a great many available beyond Yanagisawa - some might even work!

Perhaps you should start anew and request recommendations for a replacement neck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr G said:
The price doesn't really matter if neither of them work. Do you know that a SA80 neck will work well on the Mk VI?

Why have you settled on the Yanagisawa for a substitute? Once you accept using a substitute/aftermarket neck, there are a great many available beyond Yanagisawa - some might even work!

Perhaps you should start anew and request recommendations for a replacement neck.
I've seen a post from a Mark VI owner who prefers the SA80 neck to the VI?

Ideally I'd prefer an original neck, but they're not easy to come by. The two necks I mentioned are readily available.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,994 Posts
Welcome to SotW, Matthew!

Matthew Taylor said:
I've seen a post from a Mark VI owner who prefers the SA80 neck to the VI?
I've seen posts of owners that liked Serie II necks on their Serie III tenors too but I know first hand that, although the response is good, the intonation is unplayable. Just a caution.

Matthew Taylor said:
Ideally I'd prefer an original neck, but they're not easy to come by. The two necks I mentioned are readily available.
What is the issue? Is your horn's neck damaged or missing? If damaged, there are some good people to whom we could refer you for the repair.

Yes, the SA80 and Yanagisawa necks are readily available - so are necks from Yamaha, Barone, Gloger, Boesken, Oleg, and more. The issue is to find the one that works best for your horn.

I've a friend with a couple Mk VI baris and a couple Yanagisawas as well. I'll ask him to see whether the Yani necks fit and whether the intonation is good. He and I have gone through the tenor neck swapping to play that game but I don't know if he's toyed with the baris. I've yet another bari playing friend that sold a Mk VI low A to pay for a Yani B992. Just a thought to share with you. ;)

Again, welcome!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,317 Posts
I expect it would fit with perhaps minor adjustments. I use a barone bari neck on my Yani 900 - and it works very well (better than the stock neck). I did have to sand the Barone neck tenon down a bit to get it to fit - but that's better than having to expand it IMO.

The Barone neck was made to fit a Selmer from what I understand - and the Yani is basically a VI copy -so...

Why don't you contact the mfr and find out exactly what the diameter of the tenon is - and then check your bari with a micrometer?

There are lots of options - but the better options aren't cheap either it seems.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Forgive this for not being exactly on topic, but some readers of this thread might be asking "why switch to a different neck?"

Over 20 years ago, my instructor put the neck from his Mark VII alto on my Mark VI alto, when we were working on issues with my tone and consistency. I can't imagine whatever gave him that idea, but it seemed to produce a noticable improvement. He was not willing to part with his Mark VII neck of course, since he needed it for his horn. I should have tried to find another Mark VII neck, but I guess it never occured to me at the time that one could purchase replacement sax necks. Instead we went on a route where I started using progressively larger mouthpieces, ending up with me now playing a Meyer M10.

I wonder if it would be just as legitimate for a sax player to try different sax necks, as it is to try different mouthpieces?

·
1,317 Posts
Neat idea - I guess if necks were as common as mpcs - and perhaps a bit cheaper then it could happen.

I have two necks for my bari - but it's tough to find replacement necks for my Martins and I understand Kings have a neck that is not compatable with most. I guess some design changes make it tough too...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have now picked up a Super 80 neck ($80.00 on ebay), which plays fine to me. I've not noticed any intonation problems, but then again baritone is not my first instrument, so I may be holding back a little. I'll keep a look out for an original IV neck, just to make the instrument complete.

Thanks for your responses.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
I think the S80 neck would be fine. In fact if it's from a Serie I horn then it would pretty much be the same neck since the Mark VI bari design was used for the S80 serie I horns. From what I can tell the Selmer Bari's have tweaked their design from model to model but the basic bore looks very similar between models.

·
1,317 Posts
I wonder if Barone or Yani made changes at some point?

I'm playing a Barone neck on my B900 - and it was actually a bit big for my horn until I had it adjusted...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.