Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In late September, I purchased a Yani 7 tenor mouthpiece for my Yamaha 52. My teacher recommended that I upgrade from the Jumbo Java mouthpiece I was using. It started out great, and has gradually gotten 'different'. It plays wonderful, but I have a very hard time finding reeds that don't 'argue' with it in the lower register. I've been using Vandoren V16 (3.5).

Certain reeds play terrific--others not so much. I began to think it was the ligature, so I bought a Rovner light for it. That seemed to fix some problems, but I'm still having trouble with the lower register. I don't think it's the horn, being as the Selmer S80 C* and the Vandoren Jumbo Java play fine in the lower keys.

Could it be a faulty piece? :?

Any input would be great.

·
Banned
44 Posts
sometimes it just takes a little time to adjust to a new piece. i have had many experiences in which changing from one mouthpiece to another resulted in either problems in the lowest register of the horn or the highest. subtle throat and embrasure adjustments could make a big difference. just give it a little time...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I sold a metal Yani 7 for a friend, here on SOTW, & I played it with a Reeds Australia Vintage 3 reed. It was a good match.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I was the buyer of that piece :) . I played on it for about 4 months using Carbon Toptone Medium Hard reeds on it. I found it was too closed for my current sax (at .095, it is on teh small side for a 7 tip) , so it has since been sold to an Australian :) . It seemed to like the old Buescher I used to have though :) .

I now play a .108 Drake Custom, with BARI* Med reeds.

·
1,423 Posts
I've had 4 Yani metals for tenor or bari and my experience is that there is a certain resistance to those pieces, and they play one tip up on the difficulty scale - by the latter I mean that on a 7 (.098) tip bari, I play the same strength as I use on other brands (.110) tip openings. I found the 7 tenors difficult in the low register, and liked a 9 better.

I disagree that the Yani is a upgrade from the Vandoren - I've always been a big fan of the tenor and bari (ie B75) Java's, and think they are one of the most underrated pieces - they always work well and are relatively cheap.

Btw, I was considering listing my Yani 9 metal for sale - let me know if you'd like to discuss.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all the info!

I did some practicing today and messed around with the lower register; it worked to my advantage. AusKlang (btw, auslang is to question or questioning in german), you were right about getting used to the new piece. I haven't really thought to work on the lower register until now. I did some over tone work with a 'shaved' reed and I was able to actually sound good down there.

As for Kini, I can sort of see why the yani 9 has a better capability in the lower keys: when I shaved the bottom of the heart of the reed, it became much easier to play on the 7, which means the 9 must have a larger bore near the middle, which is why it's probably easier to play with in the lower notes (that's just my guess, so don't quote me on it).

If I get some extra cash, I may take you up on you're offer of the Yani 9. I'm interested in how it plays in comparison to the 7. I'm not looking forward to modifying each reed for the 7 to play in the lower register correctly. The 9 would probably save me some time and money...

Just curious NissanMarkVII, what tenor did you have with the Yani 7?

Again, thank you guys for your input! :)

·
6,831 Posts
The Tenor I was using with the Yani 7, is a 1950s Beaugnier-built Vito Special (Model 38T)--see sig--. It has a large bore, and large bell-bow area, much like old Kings, and Selmer BA and SBA Tenors, and but not quite as large as a Keilwerth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts