Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing a Yani 900 bari for about 6 months lately - and once I adjusted to the horn (from my The Martin) I really enjoy playing this horn - great ergos - very good intonation -and slick keywork.

I'm just wondering how I can get a bit more volume. I'm already playing on a metal Runyon Quantum 8 - which seems to play stellar on any bari with either a good reed or fibracell on it.

What if I redid the horn with black roo pads and flat metal reso? Besides looking great - would it make a volume difference?

I've heard lots of noise about the resotech resonators - are they worth the $?

I've always put large flat metal resos on my horns & always been happy with the sound and response (even on my Martins). This bari has the original pads and stock size plastic resonators - and am wondering if the upgrade would make a difference?

The horn doesn't need a repad of course. It's airtight and playing wonderful - just looking for a bit more volume for some big band work.

It's not like I'm good at leaving well enough alone either.....:twisted:

Thanks!
John

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
I'd suggest leaving the horn alone and concentrate your changes in the mouthpiece area. Try a Runyon Custom Spoiler #10 with a Rico Plasticover #2.5 reed. Try it with and without the spoiler. These are Delrin mouthpieces, not metal. If you really like metal, maybe a Dukoff M9 would do the trick. I play a rubber Berg 130/1 for solo bari work but go to a smoother, quieter old-style Brilhart Level Air for sax section. This piece also has the biggest, boomiest low end, but doesn't project like the rubber Berg.

·
4,544 Posts
My 991 seemed quiet at first, but keep in mind that it is much more focused than a vintage American horn. Out front you may be louder than you think. I use a Yani metal or a Lamberson 7M generally, but even with a Link STM, I can overpower most unamplified settings and be clearly heard in a big band at full song. Work on long tones, breath control, and play the MPC that gives you the sound and response you want...they should all give adequate volume

·
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys.

Long story short - I have a mental Runyon Quantum that improved things - but I found an RPC that really lit this horn up.

Glad I didn't pull apart the horn just to replace pads & resos - I've done some adjustments and it's playing so well I really don't want to mess with it at this point-

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
I agree with the comments. Changing pads/resos etc. is a waste of time . Modern low A bari's are more focused the sound is more 'compressed' than vintage low Bb horns. You are missing the 'spread' of the Martin sound. Personally I prefer the-- or did-- bari's without low A but, we have to move with the times.
I dont play Baritone anymore --too much carriage, Bari, alto, flute, 2 sets of stands-- it's a killer!

·
Registered
Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bari and Flute, if you bend my arm > Clarinet
1,127 Posts
A good mpc piece with very good projection and tone is the RPC 110b I play on a B901.....it's got some nice bite to it and yet you can back off and it can play fairly sweet sounding. You won't like a dukoff, too bright and uncontrollable in the upper register on a modern yani. I've found the Dukoff d8 I had sounded great on a a King super 20 bari but made my yani sound like a buzz saw.

·
1,423 Posts
volume is more a function of player, mouthpiece, and reed. An example of the player component: I occaisionally sub in a local big band - the regular bari player has the same instrument that I do. She plays on the Yani mouthpiece, I play on a B75. They play the Under My Skin arrangement that has the bari solo at the beginning - they mic her, and turn it off for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts