Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there who has tried them both, other than the construction difference, rib vs soldered posts, is there enough difference to in these 2 Bari's to warrant spending the extra dollars. I realize this is a subjective issue and I'm looking for your subjective opinions regarding any facet you think is important Thanks

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I tried both and then bought a B992 - but this was back when when the prices were more reasonable. The B992 seemed to have more presence than the other two which I attribute mostly to the metal resos on it. Blind-folded you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the 3 by feel alone. Had I not gone for the 992 I would have probably taken the 901. It seemed to resonate a little more and play a little brighter than the 991. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either-For me, they all played better than the Yamaha and Selmers I tried along-side them.

If I were shopping for a high end bari now I'd probably do some traveling so I could try a few (I bought mine at USA Horn and they had several baris in stock that I was able to try side-by-side) and I'd also consider some of the other off brands like this; http://www.kesslermusic.com/solist/bari/sax.htm

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,560 Posts
Most people say the 901 is the brightest of the two. I have only played the 901. However, my opinion is you will be fine with the 901. There might be a good reason to buy the 991 if you are going on the road with a band or marching, something like that where the horn is going to get knocked around a lot. In that case, the added ribs should help keep the sax in adjustment. The sound is going to be very similar between the two models.

Only one thing ever went wrong with my 901 and it was my fault. The G# cluster got slightly bent when I set the horn down (very carefully) for 10 minutes on a table. Just doing that caused a slight bend key (which I couldn't detect by looking at it). For the rest of rehearsal, the low notes wouldn't play right. My tech fixed it in one minute. If you ever need to set your bari down, lay it on the right side of the horn… not the left as most sax players do. But, best to always keep it on a stand, around your neck or in the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts