Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone compared the two?

Tenor and / or Alto. I'd really love to try one but I haven't seen these for sale in my area...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I own a AWO33 and it's been awhile since I played the King, but to me I felt awkward on the King super 20 Alto ( Cannonball Adderly version w full pearls etc) Before I bought this version of the Yani I tried a number of them and settled on the sound of the AW033. It fit my hands very well and I liked the feel of the horn, it felt very natural to me. Very smooth

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,620 Posts
No Kings for me. But the Yany is terrific.
Played lotsa Selmers, have some Conn 6m and 28m.
And this terrific Yany A880. Woweeee.
So ... I bought a brand new A9935. I never buy new!
Best. Alto. Evah.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have done side by sides of Super 20 and Yanigasawa tenors. I even gigged a Yanigasawa for a month while my Super 20 tenor was being overhauled. The Yanigasawas are beautifully balanced, play with great intonation and have a lovely sound that is very consistent. The King is a bit more old school mechanically, has a great sound that is extremely flexible. Pitch is good if you know where to put it. My take is, if you are looking for a very consistent horn that you can count on to sound uniform from ppp to fff, go with the Yanagisawa. If you want to throw paint at the canvas, get the King. If I was still playing recitals and chamber music, I would surely have one of the new Yanagisawas.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done side by sides of Super 20 and Yanigasawa tenors. I even gigged a Yanigasawa for a month while my Super 20 tenor was being overhauled. The Yanigasawas are beautifully balanced, play with great intonation and have a lovely sound that is very consistent. The King is a bit more old school mechanically, has a great sound that is extremely flexible. Pitch is good if you know where to put it. My take is, if you are looking for a very consistent horn that you can count on to sound uniform from ppp to fff, go with the Yanagisawa. If you want to throw paint at the canvas, get the King. If I was still playing recitals and chamber music, I would surely have one of the new Yanagisawas.

Thanks. Good info. I’m very familiar with the Kings - for what I do, it sounds like I should just stick with them.

·
Registered
392 Posts
To me after playing the Yanis and the Super 20 and mark Vi in my opinion all the Yanis are good for IS classical music, except for the sopranos.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,373 Posts
Actually it's Andrew Speight who sounds pretty good, great in fact, and I'm sure he'd sound just as good on a Super 20 (maybe better, who knows?).

Fader, if you like your Super 20, I'd stick with it. A long time ago I tried out a Yani tenor in the shop and it played really well, sounded good, so it's a fine horn. But I wasn't blown away by it and I sure wouldn't pick it over my VI or Buescher Aristocrat, or a good Super 20.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I know Andrew and I’ve talked to him about his horn. He loves ‘em. We are talking very fine differences in sound here my friend. i thought that was understood. Michae Brecker would sound good in anything too, but everyone still wants and 85k.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts