Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a used Yani A901 on e-bay that I'm expecting to arrive sometime soon. Any comments on what to look for/expect? The seller said it plays well and the pads are 2-3 years old. I have seen pics and it looks awesome, besides a little lacquer wear. I understand these are top-class players so I'm pretty excited!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
My daughter use a A-901. Fantastic sax!!!!Her Yani was bought in dec of 04. Her sax has some minor acid bleed where the bell and bow connect and where the body and bell connect. Palm keys are close to the body which is great(for small hands) for my 9 year old but you may(or not) want to add palm key risers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
The only bad thing I can say about Yanis is they still have not figured out how to do really robust lacquer jobs, so expect lots of imperfections and wear around the touch points, but don't despair, as you don't play the looks...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
shmuelyosef said:
The only bad thing I can say about Yanis is they still have not figured out how to do really robust lacquer jobs, so expect lots of imperfections and wear around the touch points, but don't despair, as you don't play the looks...
No lacquer wear whatsoever on my 7 year old T901 or my 10 year old B901. My 25 year old A880 has, of course, some wear but no more than you would expect. I did own a S990 with a lot of wear on the keys and rods. My experience is that Yani lacquer is usually durable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
shmuelyosef said:
Acrtually, I think you are refering to cases of "acid bleed" where blackish patches develop under the lacquer by joints where solder flux wasn't sufficently washed. The lacquer job itself on yanigisawas is very consistent and smooth. IIRC, the bleed problems show up on older horns like my 20 year old A880, but I believe the problem is now not any more common than any other make.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts