Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Long story short: a drunk punter fell on my YAS-62 Purple Logo horn at a gig on Sunday night and there's so much damage that I need to get another horn.

I tried some Yamahas today and didn't like them at all but when I tried a Yani A-W01, it blew me away. The dealer is getting in a A-W010 for me to try and I'm keen to hear the opinions of Yani players who've tried both models. I'm also keen to hear from anyone who has tried the silver-plated variant A-WO10S as the supplier has one of these in stock. I'm a full-time sax player and with my current alto wrecked, I can't wait the usual 3 to 12 month period for a horn to get from Australia from Japan....I need something ASAP.

What I liked about the Yani compared to the Yamahas: the A-W01 had a brilliant, focused tone with some bite, and impeccable intonation. I'm primarily into funk/fusion/smooth jazz and don't want a spread, overly-rounded sound. I realise that my mouthpiece setup does the majority of the job with tone but I believe that having a horn which leans in a certain direction helps a lot. I'd love the look of a silver-plated horn but have a feeling that the silver-plate might dull down some of the brilliance/brightness of the lacquer....but I could be wrong if it's only plating and not body-material.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
The AWO10S will differ from the AWO1 not just because of the silver plating, but also because of the ribbed construction. Many people find the ribbed Yanys a little darker than the single-post models. My guess is that if you prefer the former, either the WO10 or the WO10S will do. But you may just like the lighter WO1 better. You're lucky if you can try them all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did not have a chance to compare AW01 vs AW10 but only the prior model 901 vs 991. The 901 was more brilliant and lively to me, the 991 had a somwhat introvert, less open sound. I preferred the 901 very time. Very recently I playtested the AW01 and AW02 vs a purple logo YAS62. The AW01 was rather comparable to the Yamaha. The bronce model AW02 is more spread and and has more mids than the AW01. It sounds fuller also vs the purple logo. At the end of the day I took the AW02 with me. The AW01 was just to close to the purple logo. Check out the videos of dawkes music on Youtube. The compare AW01 vs AW10 and AW01 vs AW02. The sound in the videos matches my own impression for both comparisons.

Alphorn

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Maddcow, from what type of music you play, the WO-1 is most likely what you want.
Now if you are already a fan of silver plating and know everything that will be involved, then get the silver plated one. You can find a lot of beliefs on the forum about what silver plating does or does not do to sound. What is agreed upon is the amount of maintenance required to keep silver looking pretty.
So if you live silver, get silver. But I could say with what music you reported to play, the AWO1 should make you extremely happy. Even more so than a Yamaha 62 as you have already noticed!
The WO10 will be a darker and more centered sound. Get the WO1, I think you will be very happy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Maddcow, from what type of music you play, the WO-1 is most likely what you want.
Now if you are already a fan of silver plating and know everything that will be involved, then get the silver plated one. You can find a lot of beliefs on the forum about what silver plating does or does not do to sound. What is agreed upon is the amount of maintenance required to keep silver looking pretty.
So if you live silver, get silver. But I could say with what music you reported to play, the AWO1 should make you extremely happy. Even more so than a Yamaha 62 as you have already noticed!
The WO10 will be a darker and more centered sound. Get the WO1, I think you will be very happy!
Yanagisawa is one of the manufacturers that shoots clear coat over their silver plate, so if you don't believe that silver plate makes a difference, you can have the silver finish with few issues. If you DO believe in the effects of finish, it's a mixed bag, but the net result is still a shiny horn.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Dr. G, I am pretty sure Yanagisawa puts lacquer over their sterling horns but not their plated horns. So the silver will tarnish.
I just texted a friend of mine at Conn-Selmer and will update when I know for sure.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
“ The Sterling Silver does have a layer of lacquer. The Silver Plate does not have a layer of lacquer”
Response from Conn-Selmer
So yes, the Silver plate will tarnish if not regularly maintained.

·
32,936 Posts
“ The Sterling Silver does have a layer of lacquer. The Silver Plate does not have a layer of lacquer”
Response from Conn-Selmer
So yes, the Silver plate will tarnish if not regularly maintained.
Thanks, Andre, for that clarification. My experience is with the 9930 and 9937.

It is interesting (to me) that Yanagisawa would lacquer one and not the other. Might your friend be in a position of learning the "Why?" behind that choice?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I will probably ask him at a conference or if we meet up sometime. He is he national artist rep for Conn-Selmer. I assumed he would know the answer.
Now the why. To tell the truth, I fear I would not even want to share on this forum as I think the answer might start *that* debate again.
To maddcow or future readers, go with the WO1, that is a killer horn and I think you will love it!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, thanks for your thoughts.

@Alphorn: thanks for the suggestion re. the Dawkes Music videos...they were very, very helpful.

I can definitely hear a difference between the various horns and the A-WO1 seems like it's up my alley in terms of sound, when compared to the A-WO10. I'm much more oriented towards a Sanborn-style sound than Paul Desmond (using the analogy from one of the Dawkes videos) and the A-WO1 is certainly in that direction. I just wish the A-WO1 had some of the premium features of the A-WO10 such as low B-C# linkage and double-arm keys, but the sound and response is far more important to me.

I'm a bit disappointed that the A-WO1 doesn't come with an underslung neck and am looking at price/availability of the Model 64 neck in silver-plated finish...I think that'd be a nice contrast with the lacquer finish of the horn and the Model 64 is designed for power and brightness ("well-suited for the jazz and pop idioms" according to the Yanagisawa website)...again, just what I'm looking for in terms of sound and response.

Any further thoughts concerning these horns is still very welcomed.

·
32,936 Posts
Comments and thoughts...

Seeing that you are on the coast, recall that silver plate (regardless of tarnish) will last longer than lacquer in a salt air environment. I have been playing silver plate horns (and silver flutes) for many years now. For me, the issues of tarnish are negligible. I like the look and sound of my horns. Like Andre, I hesitate to comment on whether plating makes a difference in sound, but it certainly makes it shiny!

Enjoy your horn!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Comments and thoughts...

Seeing that you are on the coast, recall that silver plate (regardless of tarnish) will last longer than lacquer in a salt air environment. I have been playing silver plate horns (and silver flutes) for many years now. For me, the issues of tarnish are negligible. I like the look and sound of my horns. Like Andre, I hesitate to comment on whether plating makes a difference in sound, but it certainly makes it shiny!

Enjoy your horn!
Great point re silver-plate lasting better than lacquer in a coastal environment. Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I need a back up horn to my Selmer SA 80 MK1 Alto.or maybe a number 1 horn for the main band I gig with...and of the big 4, a Yanagisawa is the only one I've never owned ,however I've tried a few at Sax.Co.Uk and very much liked the few I tried..
I'm looking to buy second hand Yani over in the UK ...
I've read every review and many Post's
So do I buy a black lacquer 991 at £1800 or almost brand new new Black Lacquer A-WO 01 at £1600 Thoughts and advice ....Both horn's are in different locations so I need to travel to try them but not on the same Day
and yes I like the finish look but would be happy with any finish

Like Madcow I play in a Funk band with 2 other horns and one thing I notice is the slight intonation foibles on the SA80 It's well set up but A2, B2, C#3 D3,E3 tend towards blowing a little sharp ....

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Over the past few days, I’ve tried an A-WO1, A-WO10 and an A-WO20. My thoughts are below. Something that all 3 horns had in common is that intonation is absolutely amazing - best I’ve ever encountered on any brand and any horn - and altissimo is sooooo easy.

A-W01: bright, powerful and focussed, and it takes almost no pushing to get that sound. This horn takes no effort to get exactly the sound I want, from pp to FF.

A-WO10: clear, rich sound with more core and spread than the A-WO1. It can be very powerful but takes a bit of push/air pressure to get that i.e. it’s more resistant than the A-WO1

A-WO20 (bronze version of A-WO10): clear, rich sound that’s a little brighter and a bit easier to push than the A-WO10 i.e. it sits in between the A-WO1 and A-WO10

I’ve decided that the A-WO1 suits my needs best and have ordered one...it should arrive on Monday. However, I’ve also ordered a Yani Model 64 neck in silver-plate; this is the brightest and most powerful of the Yani necks. It also has an underslung design, which I really wanted. It’ll take 5 weeks to arrive.

I was initially very keen to get the A-WO1 in silver-plate but after giving much thought to this, I think it’ll be much harder to maintain and the silver-plate might give the horn too many partials for my taste. Another factor is that I wouldn’t get the horn until next March at the very earliest and I need something immediately. I think the silver-plated Model 64 neck will give me just enough additional brightness to make the horn stand out in the kind of music I do, and it’ll look unique.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
Thanks for posting your findings maddcow. Too many people here forget to come back and tell us what their decisions were.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Interesting impressions Maddcow
As said in my thread about "less enthusiasm for the A-W010" I still not fully understand why always purchase the A-W01 at the end... :scratch:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I live by the sea (broken water, though) and I have had no general issues with the silver plating of my Yanagisawa (25+ years). I used rubberbands as palm key risers and there is oxidation under the palm keys but nowhere else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts