Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.

I own a Yani A992. Love it absolutely to death. There's something about the bronze that just warms up the sound and it just sings. I say the same about the bronze for the Yani T992, and I would love to have said tenor. However, since I still have college to pay for and no money even for that, getting my hands on a nice expensive bronze yani is kind of out of the question. I'm wondering how horns like Kessler's Handmade horns and other horns that are made of "Redbrass" stack up in comparison as far as tone, ergos, etc. I guess my question is: "are there any good quality, 992-esque horns that won't break the bank"?

Thanks much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Yes, 991, 990ú, 990, 880 are very much like the 992.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,438 Posts
+1 to hgile's comments. Are you talking about buying a tenor - or soprano, since you already have the A992? Your post wasn't clear about that even though you did mention a tenor.

Much is made about the bronze bodies (I own two Yangisawa bronze sopranos, and have owned an A992, A880, and brass Yanagisawas, too). While there is, to my ears, a slight difference between brass and bronze saxophones that I've played side-by-side, there are so many other variables that I'd be hard-pressed to claim it was the material that made the differences. But subjectively, I do think the material makes a difference, if only a slight difference. In fact, a good mouthpiece and reed could probably make up the difference if you chose a brass Yanagisawa. I'd look at used 880's or even their "6" horns from way back.

As far as comparing them to Kessler's house brands, i too have had some experiences with Kessler's saxophones (don't know about the "handmade" aspect). The Kessler house-brands are very good players - I've purchased two of them (alto and tenor) and they are still playing, especially the alto that was marched by my second grandson in high school. But even Dave Kessler himself will tell you that as good as they are (and I think they are), they are not in Yanagisawa's league. DAVE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts