Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been playing alto sax for a few years now and I want to get my first tenor. I think I currently play at an intermediate level (can play a song if I have sheet music but can't really improvise yet) and I mostly like to play jazz standards. I currently play a Yanagisawa A901.

As I live in the South East Asian region, there isn't as wide a range of saxophones available where I'm from. Initially I wanted to import a Bauhaus AI sax but apparently the tenor model has been discontinued. So I've narrowed my choices to the Yanagisawa TW01/TWO10 or the Yamaha YTS-62 Mk III based on what is available to me and from lurking around on this site. Unfortunately buying used isn't really an option where I live and I can't play test as my local stores have to import the sax if I want to buy it. So I thought I'd ask people who have tried both horns what they think about these saxes. I know there are a lot of threads comparing they YTS-62 II and the T901/991 but do difference between the two still apply since both brands have updated their horns? As for sound palette, I think I would prefer a saxophone with a similar sound profile to Stan Getz's tone. Thank you for your time in reading this and I look forward to your replies!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,303 Posts
kappa: Welcome to SOTW. Given your situation, I'd go Yanagisawa. Admittedly, I am not a tenor player (but I have owned one and played several over the years); I have played for many years and have owned and tested many brands.

In MY experience, I've never found a Yanagisawa that didn't play well right out of the box (meaning - no dealer prep). However, I've come across many Yamahas that didn't play too well right out of the carton. Maybe they would have played better if the dealer had spent some time with them, but they didn't. This tells me that if you are going to buy something that expensive without first playing it, you are at lesser risk with Yanagisawa.

True, many love their Yamahas and if the dealer from whom you buy one has the ability to shop-check the horn before he sells it to you, that may be okay. But I get the impression that you are pretty much committed to the purchase before the dealer even orders the horn to be sent to him. If you trust the dealer to do his work, then a Yamaha may be okay.

And, for what it is worth, I have owned several Yanagisawas and still have two in my closet, including a new A-W01 alto. The two Yamahas I once owned are down the road now. DAVE

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,520 Posts
Hi all. I've been playing alto sax for a few years now and I want to get my first tenor. I think I currently play at an intermediate level (can play a song if I have sheet music but can't really improvise yet) and I mostly like to play jazz standards. I currently play a Yanagisawa A901.

As I live in the South East Asian region, there isn't as wide a range of saxophones available where I'm from. Initially I wanted to import a Bauhaus AI sax but apparently the tenor model has been discontinued. So I've narrowed my choices to the Yanagisawa TW01/TWO10 or the Yamaha YTS-62 Mk III based on what is available to me and from lurking around on this site. Unfortunately buying used isn't really an option where I live and I can't play test as my local stores have to import the sax if I want to buy it. So I thought I'd ask people who have tried both horns what they think about these saxes. I know there are a lot of threads comparing they YTS-62 II and the T901/991 but do difference between the two still apply since both brands have updated their horns? As for sound palette, I think I would prefer a saxophone with a similar sound profile to Stan Getz's tone. Thank you for your time in reading this and I look forward to your replies!

I would get the Yany. I also used to have Yamaha. I now have three Yany altos, one I
Have had for many years and two new. The new ones were amazing right out of the box.
And i just bought another Yany tenor. Three of them too.

Why play around with quality and setup problems?

Dat
Sax
Man

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies. I was also leaning towards the Yani because I had heard about Yamaha's slipping quality control and because I quite like my A901.

I wanted to ask has anyone here heard and tried a brand of saxophones called LC Sax? My dealer told me they are cheaper and comparable to Yani saxes but I'm a bit hesitant because I've never heard of this brand before.

Also, is there much difference between the TWO10 and the TWO1? I know that the TWO10 has a ribbed post and underslung neck but does that affect the sound much?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Why do you think, the Bauhaus AI is discontinued?

On the website of woodwindandbrass its there:

http://woodwindandbrass.co.uk/acatalog/Bauhaus_Tenor_Saxophones.html
If you look there is no longer an add to cart button for the AI tenors. I shot an email to woodwindandbrass and they replied with this:

The TS-PD and TS-YD are about to be updated and manufactured in another factory. The new tenors will be priced around the same as the old models. So yes the old TS-PD's and YD's have been discontinued.
I'm not sure if the quality will be maintained once they make the production switch. Also I'm not entirely convinced that they haven't replaced the AI models with the M2 models for good.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Also, is there much difference between the TWO10 and the TWO1? I know that the TWO10 has a ribbed post and underslung neck but does that affect the sound much?
All the design differences between the two Yany lines are discussed in my thread cited above. As for tone, the two models do share the same tube design, so the core will be pretty similar. It's best to compare and decide for yourself if you can. If not, there are some side-by-side comparison videos on YouTube. Also, Kessler's website and blog offer a lot of opinions about how the different Yanagisawas play.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yanagisawa is making great saxophones. I just sold an alto Yamaha 52 and a 62II because they couldn't unseat my Yanagisawa. Last year I sold a fine 82Z, but still preferred the sound and ergonomics of the YANAGISAWA. Which one is right for you is up to you. I was very surprised after I tried the WO tenors and Altos, I'm still playing my A902, T902 (The brass version of the 901), and T9932J. I thought I would just want the newest one, but perhaps my familiarity with what I already have won.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I hate to discount an entire brand, especially one that so many great players use, but I have never played a Yamaha that felt or sounded as good as my Yanagisawa saxes.

Just a couple anecdotes to go along with that: I loaned my T901 to a pro player once while his mk VI was being serviced and he had nothing but praise to say about it. He said it felt like an SBA. Also, I know one of the top cats in my region uses a 990 as his back up for his VI. I believe it was his main ax until he got the VI.

Like I said, these are just anecdotes. I'm sure there are players out there with the opposite opinion.

·
Registered
146 Posts
@kappa

Very difficult situation IMHO.
I don't like to buy a sax which I haven't never played on my own because you have to love the tone - but you can change this via the mpc - and the ergonomics must fit.
I used a YTS-280 some time ago and I have access to a 82Z and this two horns are different from the keywork.
Just as an example. I'm looking for an alto right now and I tested a couple of horns during the last months.
I kicked out the Yamaha straight away because I do not like the tone and the ergonomics, I love the Yani for the tone but the Selmer Reference was more in line with my fingers as I don't like the low C-Key on the Yani Alto.
So, I would suggest that you look around to get a hand on the horns and then decide based on this before you order exp. as you have more or less no chance to return the horn.

In the case that I have to buy with out testing I would go for the Yani

Just my 2 Cents

BR
Jürgen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts