Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I have an 880 Alto, a 901 bari, and a T901. While it was a very nice tenor, it was not as exceptional as the alto and bari--until I put a Selmer Series III neck on it. Now it's every bit the equal of the other two.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
I've got a T901 that I put a bronze neck on. I've been playing it a few years and it plays well and is holding up good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
I have a T880 and a T902; which is the standard pro model in Bronze.

I've owned good MK VIs and played what I considered great VIs, and the
Yanis stopped me from going back to playing them, or considering a modern
Selmer.

I also owned a 45,000 series SBA, and was not impressed; similiar to another
SBA of the same series, I tried and it seemed weak compared to my VI at
that time.

Anyway, the Bronze 902 in particular, is outstanding and comparable to
some of the late 5-digit early 6-digit VIs that I tried,loved,and ..couldn't afford.

Love my Yani tenors !

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've been using T991 for 2 years, and I'm really impressed with the sound quality, intonation, and ergonomics (-for me these three factors are most important in the saxophones; and I think these horns currently are better than modern Selmers and even some vintage ones, but that's only my opinion and you don't have to agree with me :) ) In my opinion Yanagisawa is one of the best brands on the market out there. I've compared my T991 to various JK SX90's, Yamahas and I didn't find anything better. The only comparable horn for me it's my teacher's Selmer BA tenor from 45000 range. But I still prefer my own horn :).

·
Registered
189 Posts
bjornblomberg said:
I play a T992. Great horn. Mechanics work very smoothly. Great intonation. Very consistent tone throughout.
The bronze looks cool :)
Ditto......and even better when you add a Guardala Studio mouthpiece :D

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
I'm an Yani person on this forum. I love these saxes. It's almost impossible for me to play on anything else now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
It's funny but I have always thought the the tenor was the week point in the Yani line. I have owned and loved their sopranos and currently think the world of my A992, but I returned a T991 that was a complete dud even after a visit to my tech and felt the dame way about the two others I have tried. So I have subsequently stayed to their smaller horns. (I am sometimes tempted by a B992 though...)

·
Registered
293 Posts
I love my T991 w/bronze neck!! Great Tenor!!

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Perry Cobb said:
I love my T991 w/bronze neck!! Great Tenor!!
I'm using a bronze neck on my T901 as mentioned above. The keywork is to die for on the Yani's. Very friendly for my rather smallish hands.

·
Registered
881 Posts
saxmanglen said:
I'm using a bronze neck on my T901 as mentioned above. The keywork is to die for on the Yani's. Very friendly for my rather smallish hands.
Yes, spot on, the keywork is fantastic. The best I've tried. Sound-wise the T992 is not that different from an old Mark7 Selmer I used to have, but the Yani is more consistent throughout the register. Probably the Yani is more neutral in tone, which gives you more room to add your own touch (for better or worse :). And then the Yani is easier to play in the low range, possibly because it is so tight and everything is so well adjusted...

·
Registered
390 Posts
I love my T991, with a selmer Ref 36 neck. The action, feel, and keywork, is the best of all the tenors I have ever played. I still have the original neck, and while it is more freeblowing than the 36, it is also not as gutsy. I once tried a T992 neck, it is actually made it even less gutsy than the original.
The T991 is quite expressive, and does seem to be more versatile in its use than my PM 66R tenor ( also an excellent horn )

·
Registered
293 Posts
OOlufoks said:
I love my T991, with a selmer Ref 36 neck. The action, feel, and keywork, is the best of all the tenors I have ever played. I still have the original neck, and while it is more freeblowing than the 36, it is also not as gutsy. I once tried a T992 neck, it is actually made it even less gutsy than the original.
The T991 is quite expressive, and does seem to be more versatile in its use than my PM 66R tenor ( also an excellent horn )

That's interesting.....I found that actually get a bigger sound using the T992(bronze) neck than the original brass neck.....the brass neck is a bit brighter though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
guido said:
It's funny but I have always thought the the tenor was the week point in the Yani line. I have owned and loved their sopranos and currently think the world of my A992, but I returned a T991 that was a complete dud even after a visit to my tech and felt the dame way about the two others I have tried. So I have subsequently stayed to their smaller horns. (I am sometimes tempted by a B992 though...)
I wouldn't say it's a dud, although I tenor is the only horn where I reach for something other than my Yani. The keywork on tenor seems small and cramped somehow, while SA & B all seem just right (with palm D & E risers), but I have big hands. Soundwise, my T992 is very sweet, dark and warm and it's great for intimate settings (yes, I'm talking about a saxophone)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts