Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there.I've been looking for a long time for a tenor saxophone and the road thus far has been hard.Most saxophonists in my country play alto so there aren't a lot of tenors on the market.I mainly play alto but I'm really digging the tenor sound.Now,I've managed to find someone who has a friend who sells a T800 Elimona and a W01 .Problem is,that friend is in the Czech Republic and he can only send one (he has to pay transportation fees).I firmly believe that 90% of the sound comes from the player's own sound concept and constant practice but quite a lot of people say that each horn has its own dark or bright tone.My tone inspirations are Dexter Gordon,Jan Garbarek,Michael Brecker so essentially fat yet complex sound with a lot of projection.I am personally interested in the T800 Elimona.I've read a few posts here that say the Elimona is a really great sax.I know that I'm first supposed to play it to form an opinion.But from your own experience,what do you recommend ? I should mention that I practice on the tenor that belongs to the University which also happens to be a W01 and that I play a Jody Jazz Jet 6 mouthpiece.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
How much do they cost? What is their condition?

I play a TWO1 and like it a lot. But if I had to choose blindly between two similar saxes, neither one a vintage rarity or specialty item, I'd go with the one with which I already had some experience (unless you hate the WO1 you've been playing) -- or just the horn that's three decades younger. In this case, those two are the same.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The WO1 is just an updated T800. I think you will like the sound of the T800. It is probably much less expensive. Does the older T800 need new pads?

I have a T880 and a WO10 that are not very different except that my older horn has many original pads that are 30+ years old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The elimona costs 1900 euros and the W01 costs 2400.My friend says that the guy from the Czech Republic always searches for horns that are in good condition.And he certainly does but so far he' brought in altos.I don't know if the same thing applies to tenors.But,does the elimona (since it's an old horn)require frequent trips to the tech ? Is it leak prone ?The serial number says it's from 1979.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If the delta is just 500€ and there is no preference in the sound I would go for the new WO1.

BR
Juergen

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,219 Posts
Both fine tenors. I have one of each. TWO1 is a better deal at the prices you list.

dat
sax
man

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers,guys.I'll use the University's own TWO1 as a reference.Maybe I'll convince him to drop the price a little on the Elimona.However,I still don't know if he's gonna send both of them for testing.I don't want to force my luck.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
TWO1 is a better deal at the prices you list.
Yes, that's not a great price for a used TWO1, but it's tolerable, especially if the horn is in newish condition. But the T800 is overpriced, and who knows if it needs a repad or other major servicing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes, that's not a great price for a used TWO1, but it's tolerable, especially if the horn is in newish condition. But the T800 is overpriced, and who knows if it needs a repad or other major servicing.
I agree. The T800 should be more in the $1500 range if it's in good playing condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
EUR 1900 for a T800... it's a total non sense.

Most older Yanagisawas around Europe are actually T500, advertised like T800.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EUR 1900 for a T800... it's a total non sense.

Most older Yanagisawas around Europe are actually T500, advertised like T800.
Well,he's gonna send me some pictures of the horn.Can you guys please tell me what irregularities should I look for,besides the usual glance at the pads,dents etc......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well,he's sent me the pictures.It has the double bell arms.It says "Elimona" on it.It's in great condition,almost mint.But now he's asking for 2000 euros.Now that's a lot.He's said that his contact in The Czech Republic had a hard time finding it and that the 800 "elimona" series are rare.Kinda smells fishy to me.Listening to what you guys said,I should either try to convince him to lower the price or look elsewhere.And I'm starting to lean towards the latter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Romania,right in Eastern Europe.I mean,if i'm from there,it doesn't mean I have to pay extra for something,right ?

·
1,988 Posts
Well,he's sent me the pictures.It has the double bell arms.It says "Elimona" on it.
It's in great condition,almost mint.But now he's asking for 2000 euros.
Now that's a lot.He's said that his contact in The Czech Republic had a hard time finding it and that the 800 "elimona" series are rare.
Kinda smells fishy to me.
Listening to what you guys said, I should either try to convince him to lower the price or look elsewhere.
And I'm starting to lean towards the latter.
With EUR 2000 budget... check other instruments like Yamaha, modern Selmers... etc etc

·
1,988 Posts
Well,he's sent me the pictures.It has the double bell arms.It says "Elimona" on it.
It's in great condition,almost mint.But now he's asking for 2000 euros.
Now that's a lot.He's said that his contact in The Czech Republic had a hard time finding it and that the 800 "elimona" series are rare.
Kinda smells fishy to me.
Listening to what you guys said, I should either try to convince him to lower the price or look elsewhere.
And I'm starting to lean towards the latter.
With EUR 2000 budget... check other instruments like Yamaha, modern Selmers... etc etc

·
Registered
726 Posts
The T800 is a bit over and the TW01 is a better deal for sure. I have a 800 alto and I just recently bought a current production bronze neck and it opens up the sound a lot. I am quite surprised because the effect is much bigger than I expect. So, I believe they are quite different horn, more than just cosmetic and key works. I know my is alto and you are talking about tenor, but the same may apply.

I would definitely buy the TW01 over the T800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Tested the W01 , W02 and W10 Tenors, the W01 felt tame and a tad dead, W10 was way nicer, bigger sound, fatter but the star was the bronze WO2, WOWWW it was great

1 - 20 of 21 Posts