Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with both of these horns?
I currently have a Yamaha 62 series 1 engraved tenor and am looking at a Yanagisawa T500.
A long time ago in a galaxy far away I played a T500 for a short period at High School.
It was a pretty new model at the time and from what I remember it was a nice horn.
Problem is back then I was only comparing it to a Yamaha 23 Tenor and I was only a relative beginner with only a year or so under my belt and limited experience playing other saxes than those mentioned.
By the way I am one of those that really didn't like the sound of a YTS 23 at all.
Only a year or so ago I had a Yanagisawa A500 or A800 still not sure, this was a nice horn in terms of ergonomics and sound.
But I don't play a lot of alto and am probably not the best judge.
I guess my question is more about the sound characteristics of the T500 compared to the YTS 62.
The Yamaha has a great sound when coupled with the right mouthpiece, but doesn't respond the way I like when using my Link or link like pieces.
I would describe the sound as spread, but I tend to like a more focused or compact sound.
I know these terms are pretty individual and perhaps not very accurate but they're the best description of what I mean.
Does anyone have any more recent experiences with these horns to describe how the sounds compare?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with both of these horns?
I guess my question is more about the sound characteristics of the T500 compared to the YTS 62.
The Yamaha has a great sound when coupled with the right mouthpiece, but doesn't respond the way I like when using my Link or link like pieces.
I would describe the sound as spread, but I tend to like a more focused or compact sound.
I know these terms are pretty individual and perhaps not very accurate but they're the best description of what I mean.
Does anyone have any more recent experiences with these horns to describe how the sounds compare?
Thanks.

Hi Bflat

They are not a mile apart. The YTS 62 is more free blowing and brighter than the T500... but I do pref the key work of the YTS 62 to that of the T500. If you looking for something other than, I would try to find a good T880.
Funny thing is, I am not too happy with the sound of my old Otto Link STM on any of the above. There are 2 mouthpiece's that I would use if I played on the above horns. 1 is the Aaron Drake vintage resin Jazz (not the NY jazz) and the other is the Aizen SO ( a Selmer Soloist type MP)
I now play on Borgani tenors (a tadd larger bore horn than all of the above) and I find that my Old Link is spot on .

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have both YTS62 and Dorado T5... Keyworks on YTS62 is much more comfortable, while I had to move the strap-ring and thump-hook on T5 for "better position and comfort"... Built quality, they both are solid. T5 seems to be a tag heavier... Sound wise; on the same mp&reed setup, I like my tone on the T5 better - warmer, fuller, more center; YTS62 sounds brighter and more spread... Resale value, I'd say the YTS62 would fetch a bit more
I would "live happily" with either one, regardless...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ManEast and DanSax64, thank you both for your input.
It's good to hear others experiences.
I guessed that they would be similar in some respects.
I'm looking at a T500 that is around $1000 AUS dollars, and didn't want to be getting something too close to the Yamaha.
The price is reasonable enough though as long as I can resell it at a similar price if it doesn't suit.
I have heard good things about the Borgani Tenors, but haven't had the opportunity to try one as yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts