Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one of these sell for what I would consider a reasonably good price just recently.
I’m not familiar with this model but have had some experience with the T6 and T800 models and the T901.
Apart from the obvious differences in the left pinky table configuration, would they have a similar tone to any of the other models mentioned?
I believe these were made in the 70’s possibly around the time of the Yamaha 61?
I have no doubt that like all Yanagisawas they would have been well made and likely also tune very well.
For those who have or have had one of these, soundwise is there a horn that is similar that I might be able to judge by.
Thanks Nick.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,253 Posts
I have a ton of Yanys. But no T4. I would get a newer one.

But maybe the T4 is just as good? Dunno. The T5
And later models are pretty terrific.

dsm

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
well, T and A 4 are among the earliest Yanagisawa made (you have the T3 too) at the start of their company when Nikkan Gakki became Yamaha and Yanagisawa .

Their mechanics are not following the Selmer clone pattern which really started with the T5 (and indeed YTS 61 at Yamaha end ) and that is the main drawback.

Soundwise they are very nice and they are certainly interesting but I would not pay much for them because their market position is not such to get top money (most sellers would think that because of the name they deserve more but they are wrong and in many cases a trip to the local store will tell them that)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1DBPwgp3y0&frags=pl,wn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Milandro.
I’m not actively hunting one down, my interest was just peaked after seeing one sell locally for $450 Australian dollars.
This equates to only $330 US dollars.
At that price I would have been willing to take a chance and may still if another comes along at that price.

·
38,888 Posts
It’s not a bad price at all for collecting purposes but if the horn needs an overhaul and it ends up costing you 3 times as much is getting near the price that a shop would ask if overhauled.

If it looks nice and needs nothing it’s a bargain anyway because where are you going to buy a good sax with history and cachet for that kind of money?

In my experience lacquer of these is very bad after so many years. I don’t think it was epoxy and it is probably nitrocellulose. It’s easy to unlacquer though.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
well, T and A 4 are among the earliest Yanagisawa made (you have the T3 too) at the start of their company when Nikkan Gakki became Yamaha and Yanagisawa .

Their mechanics are not following the Selmer clone pattern which really started with the T5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1DBPwgp3y0&frags=pl,wn
That’s not actually true. My T4 has the “Balance Action” style bell keys and left hand pinkie table I bought it as a back up to my Selmer because it had the closest feel to a Selmer and no high F#. The sound is ok. A little on the dark side but a nice focus and the low notes actually seem to play easier than my Selmers.
If the one you’re looking at has that crappy hinged low B and B flat, I’d pass.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
I’ve always thought that Yanis just weren’t that great until the 880 series. I know that a lot of people like the S-6 sopranos and the B-6 baris, but it’s always “best for the money”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
38,888 Posts
The earlier series were more closely related to the FRench school and then they took more and more, progressively, their own road leading into a different direction.

Bearing this in mind, if you are looking for that type of vibe go for one or the other.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
"I know that a lot of people like the S-6 sopranos and the B-6 baris, but it’s always “best for the money”. "

Not true in my case - my S-800 (nearly a S-6) is great regarding sound, intonation and ergos. I would not change it with any other soprano (but wish it had a front f sometimes)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts