Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just grabbed a Yani S6 clone ( branded SEVERIN ) for a very ridiculous price. The horn is in very good condition but it needs a complete repad and a key is broken.

The broken key is the upper palm key. Most of the key is still there but the stud has gone away.

I'm looking for a spare part but I'm wondering if a genuine S6 key or one of the many Yani stencils part will fit? I don't have enough knowledge on Yanagisawa vintage sopranos and their stencils. I wouldn't like to get a spare part paid a generous price who doesn't fit.

I assume it would be wise to compare measurements between my key and the potential spare part I can find?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,189 Posts
I would start with finding a great repairperson. He or she can usually repair the key or retrofit something from a donor horn. I won't spend time on any sort of search before consultation. Nice find!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would start with finding a great repairperson. He or she can usually repair the key or retrofit something from a donor horn. I won't spend time on any sort of search before consultation. Nice find!
thanks a lot. Yes it's a great find. The pads are total crap, but from the few notes I've been able to blow, I can already say it will be a heck of a player.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,303 Posts
SEVERIN is not a name I've heard in regards to Yanagisawa-made sopranos. Oh, that doesn't mean that it isn't a model of the S-6 made by Yanagisawa - there were plenty of those in existence. But the ones made by Yanagisawa usually had the Yanagisawa trademark on it or some other indicator that the stencil was made by Yanagisawa and/or made in Japan.

With that in mind, please tell us what markings are on the horn to corroborate the made-by-Yanagisawa status. Thanks! DAVE

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SEVERIN is not a name I've heard in regards to Yanagisawa-made sopranos. Oh, that doesn't mean that it isn't a model of the S-6 made by Yanagisawa - there were plenty of those in existence. But the ones made by Yanagisawa usually had the Yanagisawa trademark on it or some other indicator that the stencil was made by Yanagisawa and/or made in Japan.

With that in mind, please tell us what markings are on the horn to corroborate the made-by-Yanagisawa status. Thanks! DAVE
Hi Dave,

the horn has JAPAN marked under the thumbrest. The serial number just below is similar to the Yani s.n. logic, i.e. month, then year then s.n. in itself. In that case it's 1274XXXX.

I didn't notice any Yanagisawa marking yet cause the seller had the brilliant idea to paint it in black...the job is well done but it muffles harmonics and the tone is a bit less rich and colored than usual. I will strip the paint asap.

I remember I read somewhere Yanagisawa made some horns marked SEVERIN, but they are rather rare. To me there's no doubt it's a Yani S6 clone.

I will take a couple pictures as soon as I'll get a few minutes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. Looking forward to the photos. DAVE
Even the artistic engraving is very similar though I can'see it perfectly because of the paint layer. Gosh, what a stupid idea to paint such a great horn...but for CAD $ 120 shipped I can't complaint.

My tech agreed that I will disassemble all the mechanism , degrease and clean it, then remove any trace of glue into the pad cups to save a bit on the repad job.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave, here's an example of Yanagisawa made SEVERIN branded sax. Mine just doesn"t have the Yani logo. Perhaprs because of a lack of space on little sop? Who knows!!

https://picclick.com/Rare-Vintage-YANAGISAWA-Severin-Engraved-Alto-Saxophone-Sax-in-172570086594.html

One of my friend who works for a long time in a brass shop told me Severin was a sub contractor for Yanagisawa and Yamaha and they actually made horns for those 2 japanese makers as well as some of their own horns. But the story doesn't tell why Yanagisawa made Severin stamped horns....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,380 Posts
Hi,

I just grabbed a Yani S6 clone ( branded SEVERIN ) for a very ridiculous price. The horn is in very good condition but it needs a complete repad and a key is broken.

The broken key is the upper palm key. Most of the key is still there but the stud has gone away.

I'm looking for a spare part but I'm wondering if a genuine S6 key or one of the many Yani stencils part will fit? I don't have enough knowledge on Yanagisawa vintage sopranos and their stencils. I wouldn't like to get a spare part paid a generous price who doesn't fit.

I assume it would be wise to compare measurements between my key and the potential spare part I can find?
What is the STUD ?

(yeah, yeah...no comments from the peanut gallery, please :dazed:).

Congrats on your purchase, really turned out to be a Yani !!

As noted by others, likelihood is a tech with a decent supply of spare/loose keywork can silver-solder something together for you to make it work and look decent for quite cheap.

Gosh, what a stupid idea to paint such a great horn...but for CAD $ 120 shipped I can't complaint.
If it's paint on top of lacquer, that can be removed with a bit of care and the right product.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the STUD ?

(yeah, yeah...no comments from the peanut gallery, please :dazed:).

Congrats on your purchase, really turned out to be a Yani !!

As noted by others, likelihood is a tech with a decent supply of spare/loose keywork can silver-solder something together for you to make it work and look decent for quite cheap.

If it's paint on top of lacquer, that can be removed with a bit of care and the right product.
Thanks. Yeah, it is a Yani for sure.The guy really didn't know the gem he had in hands. God, $120 shipped, more, in Canadian bucks...

The paint has been shot after he removed the lacquer and it's been a pain in the *** to remove it. First I had to carefully use the heat gun then with airplane stripper stuff I've been able to remove everything. I can't wait to play it again as a paint layer of that thickness muffled the harmonics of the horn.

·
18,380 Posts
Ah, so the lacq had been removed before it was painted. Thanks sorta s#cks....Sure it'll look and play lot better once your tech is done with it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, there's a big problem with the tech....there was 2 saxophone repairman at the brass shop I use to go. One is out for 6 months because of a new born in the family and the second one went back to teaching languages....so I'm n a mess....I called another tech and he asks really too much for my wallet....

Until they find another tech they do not accept big jobs like sax repadding and overhaul.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi,

Maybe

·
18,380 Posts
Actually, there's a big problem with the tech....there was 2 saxophone repairman at the brass shop I use to go. One is out for 6 months because of a new born in the family and the second one went back to teaching languages....so I'm n a mess....I called another tech and he asks really too much for my wallet....

Until they find another tech they do not accept big jobs like sax repadding and overhaul.
You should inquire with other Canadian members and see if they know of any techs who they can recommend. Then contact that tech by phone, and then email them photos of the part replacement you need and have them give you an estimate. Ship the sax to them and have it done if price is right.
Fabricating a replacement piece from a donor part isn't rocket science, but does require a little bit of thought.

I'd gladly do this for you but shipping across-border makes no sense....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts