Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that Kesseler & Sons has announced a soon to come Yanagisawa SCWO10, which would be an up-date of the curved sopranos. There are a few other online shops that list them on their homepage yet without price information. Sax.co.uk is discounting the curvies at the moment. Finally found on a Japanese site September 21 as date of availablity. So far no SCWO20 announced.

Is there anybody out there that could shed a bit more light on the changes made and the effects on the sound / playability. Would it be worth wait for it or grab a SC991 or 992 at a discount?

Alphorn

·
Registered
109 Posts
Alphorn,

The prices at Sax.co.uk do look tempting, but I think that there are better deals in the used/2nd hand market. The ones that are on offer from the store could be demo models which have been handled by loads of people. I managed to buy a 2nd hand SC991Black, I needed a decent curved Soprano for travelling, in April 2017 for £ 1700.00, it is like new. There are some good deals out there to be had!

I don't know what changes are on the WO Soprano curved models, or their cost.

Good luck with the hunt.

Regards Peter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@400VI62

"managed to buy a 2nd hand" That sums it up: Managed. SC991 and SC992 are something of a rare to endagered species here in Germany. They come up seldom and most of the time the 2. hand curved Yanagisawas have the bell keys on the left side. I much prefer the mechanics with the keys on the right side of the bell.

Found prices on the homepage of the German importer GEWA. SC-WO10 app 3800 € and SC-WO20 app 4300 € recommended retail price. That might tranlate to something like 3300 and 3800 in the market. SC991 is currently non-discounted 3000 € and SC992 3600 €

Yanagisawa themselves on their Japanese homepage under news give September 21 as date and it seems that the baritones will be released in parallel as B-WO10 etc. If you can trust Google translate. The baritones are also already on the homepage of GEWA.

Alphorn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Is there anybody out there that could shed a bit more light on the changes made and the effects on the sound / playability. Would it be worth wait for it or grab a SC991 or 992 at a discount?

Alphorn
The SC sops are great horns. I cannot imagine that they are making significant changes that would make a difference to the average, or even above average player. Whether you NEED the improvements has to be your call.

If I were to NEED another curved sop, I would be most happy to buy my third SC992. In the meantime, I find my Borgani Jubilee bent neck sop to fill my every need. I suggest you play a full-curve sop for a while to see whether it is for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Alphorn: I don't know what you mean when you write, "hand curved Yanagisawas have the bell keys on the left side."

The curved Yanagisawa sopranos with left-hand bell keys are the SC90X models. When Yanagisawa introduced the SC99X models, those were the ones with right-side bell keys.

When the SC991 first hit the market, I was in Kessler's Store in Las Vegas and he was preparing a new SC991 for shipping to a customer. I played it before he boxed it up. While it was a very nice instrument, it provided no advantage over my SC9092, which I had with me.

I was of a mind to buy the latest-and-greatest but decided that with no real difference between my SC902 and the new SC991/2, I chose not to order an SC991. The left-side bell pads (meaning an older style of left-pinky table) was of no concern to me . . . I play mostly vintage sopranos with similar left-pinky tables, but have owned many with the modern design . . . a non-issue for me.

As far as the differences between the SC901 and the SC902, I owned both at the same time and had a lot of time to compare them side-by-side. I let the SC901 go but honestly, the difference between the lacquered brass and bronze was slight at best.

As far as buying a new horn from a store and it maybe having been played before the sale, that shouldn't be a problem. A decent retailer would ensure the horn, when sold, was in top-flight condition. That MAY be an advantage over a new horn coming right out of the shipping container. I know - there are varying opinions about that, too.

I agree with George that the likelihood of some significant change between the SC99x series and the new SCWO series is unlikely. I'd feel perfectly comfortable in buying a new SC992 (or whatever body material one likes) and taking advantage of reduced pricing. DAVE

·
Registered
88 Posts
You might find this article useful:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Sop/yanagisawa_wo1_soprano.htm

I have an A991 alto and an W01 alto. I hear only a slight difference between them when playing (the A991 seems a bit darker) and no difference when recording them. If you like Yanagisawa saxophones you'd probably be happy with either soprano model. You could save a lot of money buying a used SC991.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Alphorn: I don't know what you mean when you write, "hand curved Yanagisawas have the bell keys on the left side."
He said, " most of the time the 2. hand curved Yanagisawas have the bell keys on the left side." I read "2. hand" to mean "second-hand." I guess the used curved Yanys in Germany are mostly SC901 horns and before, rather than the SC991 generation.

To the OP: I have an SC901B and like it very much. I've added an SC992 neck (greater curvature) to replicate one of the features of the SC991 line. This affects both ergonomics and tone (slightly). However, I admit that I would prefer to have the modern left-hand table keys that became standard with the SC991. The Mark VI-style table keys on the SC901 are not as slick. But I doubt that my preference is strong enough to cause me to buy a whole new saxophone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Oh, I see . . . most second-hand curved Yanagisawas (in his area) are the older-style horns. I totally missed that. I thought the previous sentence (as defined by the period following the 2) was about the bronze horns coming up (the number 2 being associated with their bronze models) and its lack of clarity was a product of English-as-a-second-language issues.

Silly me. DAVE

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The last SC991 that came up was on comission with a dealer in northern Germany. Usually comission means no warranty while when sold directly by a professional dealer 1 year warranty for used goods has to be granted. For a 9 year old SC991 without any warranty 2300 € are not exactely a bargain when currently you can have a brand spanking new discounted for 2500 € at sax.co.uk or 2800 € locally.

Alphorn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
If a horn has made it to 9 years, it likely will not have any mechanical failures that would be covered by warranty. There’s just not much to a saxophone that needs a warranty. It’s your money, your choice.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
130 Posts
Now you've done it. I wasn't even thinking about getting another soprano, but when I saw the prices at sax co UK I couldn't resist. I know I'll be doing extra chores around the house for some time to come. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I noticed that Kesseler & Sons has announced a soon to come Yanagisawa SCWO10, which would be an up-date of the curved sopranos. There are a few other online shops that list them on their homepage yet without price information. Sax.co.uk is discounting the curvies at the moment. Finally found on a Japanese site September 21 as date of availablity. So far no SCWO20 announced.

Alphorn
Sold a SC992 in really great shape one year ago for 1950 €... Can't belive yanagisawa can go so much better then this little horn! It was already amazing trust me...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,010 Posts
I purchased an SCWO10 last September to replace my S992 (i had hand issues and the curved feels better). All i can say is that it is fantastic. MUCH better tuning than my S992. Sound is also very nice. I can play Bach like a flutist and bop like Steve Lacy. Very versatile horn. The case it came in is also very nice. Compact, but has a pouch on the side, so plenty of room for stuff. I got it from sax.co.uk and it came shipped in the original packing as if it came from Yanagisawa. The 901/992/etc... series where great horns, but go for the WO series. It is well worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts